A Thanks to Jem and Terry

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: A Thanks to Jem and Terry

Post by jemtheflute »

More seriously, I normally have my tone-holes in both hands aligned with each other and play with them pointing pretty much straight up, so far as I am aware/can observe. The amount I twist the embouchure back varies from flute to flute and maybe through time too, as my own embouchure shifts about (never being really stable and consistent - I get to play too little time overall and play too many different flutes with different demands.....). My rule of thumb set-up is with the blowing edge of the embouchure slightly forward of the spine line of the tone-holes, sometimes varying farther back to at most in-line with it.

Re: Nicholson, my experience of period Nicholson's Improved flutes is that the possible forward rotation of the R hand is defined by the configuration of the long F key (if any). The Thomas Prowse example currently en route to Rick Wilson couldn't be turned out more than I'd guess 30° without the long F touch disappearing too far down the G# block to be playable. Cf: https://youtu.be/qt0GrEwGLi4
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

[I used the mill's indexing head to measure the angles. But apparently not every home has a mill. No matter, I have an easy low-tech way to measure angles of rotation at:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Angle%20measurement.htm[/quote]

Terry, I feel sure my home should have a mill, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

I measured my angles, roughly, using your method. Alone at the time, so I couldn't figure it from top level, but from the centre line of the toneholes (all in line), to the centre of the embouchure, I get 40 degrees. I'm not done tweaking the position, so it moves around a bit, but that's about where i am right now. i would LIKE to be able to rotate it back a little, as tone improves, but then I have trouble covering the toneholes. I think how long ones fingers are would be a factor here, along with the other variables.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

jemtheflute wrote:
david_h wrote:
jemtheflute wrote: Also consider the angle of your own head - it should not be tilted significantly forward/down nor backwards/up.
Terry McGee wrote:I just did a little more playing and had someone mark the top of the flute (using a small spirit level to identify the top) while I played.
I think we need a mark on top of your head as well. Or, better maybe, jawbone angle.
:lol: :D :thumbsup:
:poke: Terry
:waah:
Cheeky young whipper-snippers!

But yeah, ideally it would be good to take into account the player's posture - you certainly see some weird ones from time-to-time. I'm assuming an erect head posture, but I guess I should specify that. Nicholson also talked of that, so fair to incorporate that assumption into his approach.