Thread or cork?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mendipman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute and stringed instruments and enjoy playing in sessions and for step dancers and teach music part-time. My flutes are a new Gilles Lehart blackwood keyless in D, a c.1820 Clementi 'Nicholson improved' English boxwood single key in F and a simple-system 8-key English blackwood flute made by Richard Weekes of Plymouth, Devon c.1840 both in beautiful, pristine condition. I also have a wooden c.1880 English keyed flageolet. My home is in North Somerset a short distance from where my family come from at Blackford in the Mendip Hills and my repertoire are the tunes that are local to my area. That is the rural vernacular English music from when ordinary working people simply played and danced to their own rhythm with little concern for that which lay beyond a day's walk.

Thread or cork?

Post by mendipman »

I have a 5-key 19th century wooden flute that has tenons with turned thread grooves which has likely always had thread joints. What are opinions on changing the joint material to cork? I have Hammy Hamilton's DVD on wooden flute maintenance and fitting cork seems simple enough. Is one or the other seen as more appropriate or preferable on an older flute?
jim stone

Re: Thread or cork?

Post by jim stone »

As you can imagine, there is some controversy. Some maintain that thread
can be adjusted so that it relieves stress on the tenon when the flute is
wet from playing. Others (e.g. me) have no problem with cork and like
the convenience. I suggest you go with whatever is most practical.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

Agree with Jim. I get all my flutes that arrive with threaded joints corked. The cork eventually compresses and you need to do it again, and beware of having the cork too high so the joint is too tight.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
dubrosa22
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Post by dubrosa22 »

The turned grooves on the tenons don't necessarily indicate that thread was solely intended by its maker (although given the age of your flute it most likely was).
Still to this day most, if not all, clarinets are cork-lapped at their tenons but the same grooves are always present. Many modern wood flutes too.
Is this a makers tradition? Or to help provide sound glue adhesion for the cork?

V
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
- Philibert Jambe der Fer (1556)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

flutefry wrote:Agree with Jim. I get all my flutes that arrive with threaded joints corked. The cork eventually compresses and you need to do it again, and beware of having the cork too high so the joint is too tight.
Do you know about the lighter trick? Shake the flame of a butane lighter under the cork, rotate so you've done the whole cork a couple of times, and this expands the cork again. You can get away with this of order a half-dozen times before the cork's beyond rejuvenation.

To add to what Jim and Hugh said, while thread can be added and removed to account for shrinking and swelling of the wood, the springiness of cork does this intrinsically (I like both; I've got no horse in this race).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Cab
Tell us something.: Not sure whether I haven't registered at some time before but have come back to seek advice about a woodenflute maker.

Post by Cab »

I've recently bought a flute from Tony Millyard. He prefers threaded joints (though he will cork them on request) and even provides online instructions on how to rebind them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxGIv3oJl-Y
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Both thread and cork work. If you have a working flute, why fuss?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I have both and prefer thread, not enough to de-cork the corked flute, but enough that I'd pick thread if I had a choice. I sometimes do add a few turns of thread now and then. I like to switch head joints so if the flute is threaded I can just add or subtract a bit if the wood sizes work out. But I'm the only person I know that does this so it might just be a me thing. If you need a flute re-corked any competent band instrument repair person should be able to do it.
mendipman
Tell us something.: I play flute and stringed instruments and enjoy playing in sessions and for step dancers and teach music part-time. My flutes are a new Gilles Lehart blackwood keyless in D, a c.1820 Clementi 'Nicholson improved' English boxwood single key in F and a simple-system 8-key English blackwood flute made by Richard Weekes of Plymouth, Devon c.1840 both in beautiful, pristine condition. I also have a wooden c.1880 English keyed flageolet. My home is in North Somerset a short distance from where my family come from at Blackford in the Mendip Hills and my repertoire are the tunes that are local to my area. That is the rural vernacular English music from when ordinary working people simply played and danced to their own rhythm with little concern for that which lay beyond a day's walk.

Post by mendipman »

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting to read different opinions.

I also read the very detailed info on the link Gromit posted though most of it went over my head but nice to know there is such expert analysis available.

As I'm coming form a saxophone/clarinet background I'm used to cork. I think I'll switch to cork on my flute in the near future. I'm ok to do that job myself with either method but fitting cork and keeping the joint in good condition just seems more straightforward to me.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

As usual I vote for sloth and torpor (and cork). But I am inspired by people who use thread.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Thread! Unless the flute was designed for cork, the sockets will not support cork. Thread also helps support the tenon, by binding it. Flutes with lined sockets are fine for using cork tenons...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

jim stone wrote:As usual I vote for sloth and torpor (and cork). But I am inspired by people who use thread.
For me I dread the corking jobs...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jon C. wrote:
jim stone wrote:As usual I vote for sloth and torpor (and cork). But I am inspired by people who use thread.
For me I dread the corking jobs...
And I dread asking artisans to do it for me, because it's something that I think I should be able to do myself. I can't speak to others' needs. I've applied cork before, but once was enough for me. It least disturbs my own sloth and torpor to use thread, so thread it is. :)

Plus I've always preferred that sense of thread lending finer control over the result.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Jon C. wrote:Thread! Unless the flute was designed for cork, the sockets will not support cork. Thread also helps support the tenon, by binding it. Flutes with lined sockets are fine for using cork tenons...
Sold! This post wins the thread, IMO.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis