Customs Difficulties

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Customs Difficulties

Post by Holmes »

We rang the CITIES permit office just a few months ago. They were very helpful in trying to provide a permit for us to post a blackwood flute to Canada. They said however that because the new legislation they had been inundated with requests and there was a 4-6 month wait for permits. The helpful lady added "do you not know anyone travelling to the destination and that they may carry it for us". I pointed out that we were trying to follow the legal process but she added that "everyone else does it".

I think that this arose out of frustration on the part of the permit office and clearly they are struggling.

H

https://soundcloud.com/holmesflute/lynn ... s-one-free
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Interestingly, the confiscated flute appeared in Ebay last week! Listed by a large volume seller in Michigan and using my pictures and verbage from my previous listing on Ebay. :swear:

When I inquired to the seller about the providence of the flute, I received no reply. Furthermore, when I attempted to return to the Ebay listing it was gone! :really:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

re purchasing an instrument with CITES II listed wood and having it sent versus transporting one oneself across a border - CITES is an acronym for Convention in Trade of Endangered Species. Thus when I mail a flute to someone out of the country its usually a sale considered "Trade" and it must have paperwork. Same if someone is selling or buying something off eBay.

But when I am hand carrying an instrument with CITES II wood across a border personally as a personal possession, they consider it as something I am not in the process of selling and I am allowed to bring a reasonable amount up to 20 pounds worth of CITES II instruments or possessions and its no problem. Well I could potentially sneak through with 19.9 pounds of flutes heading to the Vancouver Folk Festival and they would figure that one out (not to mention other stuff - I'll never do that again. Last time was in 1984). But for most people there are no problems bringing an instrument that is CITES II across as a personal possession in one's luggage.

CITES I includes Brazilian Rosewood, and Ivories of all types including Mammoth as it cannot be distinguished. Best just not to risk these and leave them home, unless you have the proper permits through your CITYES office and that of the country you are headed to.

So bottom line. If its "Trade" then the permits are required and this usually includes everything that is shipped through the mail or private carriers. This is true even if no money is exchanged. Hand Carried is usually considered a personal possession and no permit is required.

For repairs I am telling everyone to find someone local to do it and not send me their instruments if in a CITES II material. There is no provision on the permits to distinguish between a sale and a repair, even warranty/ Also, the customs services sometimes will try to collect duty on an instrument that is sent back to me for work as if I was purchasing this. I had a running battle with a customs broker over a year who tried to claim over $100 once for something sent back for a simple loose ring! He finally gave up.