Rudall, Rose & Carte on eBay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Rudall, Rose & Carte on eBay

Post by paddler »

I see that another RR&C flute has appeared for sale on eBay here. Its number 6093, so it looks like a new one for the register.

Its not mine, by the way. I'm just drawing attention to the existence of this serial number for the register.
jemtheflute

Re: Rudall, Rose & Carte on eBay

Post by jemtheflute »

Patently a Patent Head but has lost its silver crown cap.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:Patently a Patent Head but has lost its silver crown cap.
Oh? Is that what they look like if you take off the silver end cap? It's got very odd rings for a PH, hasn't it? and has lost one at the end of the barrel. Another thing - and this is total ignorance on my part, partly because my PH flutes don't look like that - where the barrel is split, you can see that there is nothing inside - no liner, no mechanism. Is that because, at the foot of the barrel, there is no mechanism? Just curious ... As I say, mine just don't look like that, but then, they're lined. I thought all PHs were, but maybe not ... :-?

Jem - you usually are able to point out where I am looking at the thing wrong. Could you do so here as well please? :)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Old threads here on PHs, Ben, if you want the anatomy, though the Photobucket debacle probably means they've lost most of their illustrations. Plus relevant pages on Terry's website and some threads on the FB Flute History Channel.

I've no time for now to look mote closely at the eBay flute.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:Old threads here on PHs, Ben, if you want the anatomy, though the Photobucket debacle probably means they've lost most of their illustrations. Plus relevant pages on Terry's website and some threads on the FB Flute History Channel.

I've no time for now to look mote closely at the eBay flute.
Yes, I know about the links on the anatomy - I suppose I just haven't seen the end bit looking like that before ... plus, as I say, mine are lined, which makes the bottom end of the barrel look different. Anyway, I'll go away and study. :)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Ok, I've looked a bit more. The rings certainly aren't the normal Rudall style ones, having flat flanges, but they appear to be consistent. They all appear to be loose, but none missing, even the tenon end rings. The barrel socket liner with its ring has pulled out and is sitting on the upper body upper tenon. The head lower ring is loose and sitting against the barrel upper barrel one. The flat ring on the head is a crack repair attempt. Only the crown is missing.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Here is a similar fancy ring style used from R&R
sure you know already Jem, just for pointing out those are probably original.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Yes, I've seen fancy rings on Rudalls before - but, personally, I haven't seen them on a PH flute. (I don't think I have, anyway.)
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Nice flute. I have it in the register now. First time I've seen an original box with a certificate signed Rudall Rose Carte & Co. with a serial number also.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Yes, I didn't doubt the rings were original, and thanks for the reminder that we've seen similar before, Francesco, but these are not common on Rudall flutes.

Ben, did my explanation of the barrel socket liner solve your confusion?

This is certainly a lovely flute - needing a major restoration of the PH. I'm not sure, but I think possibly the wooden head tube is twisted around on the internal metal parts......

If it wasn't in the US I'd be tempted.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:Ben, did my explanation of the barrel socket liner solve your confusion?
Not initially, but I've read it again, and it makes sense now. :thumbsup:
Flutesoftheforest

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

That key work is very reminiscent of Henry Wylde's work. Particularly the clearance made between the key and the spring on the C and long F keys.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Flutesoftheforest wrote:That key work is very reminiscent of Henry Wylde's work. Particularly the clearance made between the key and the spring on the C and long F keys.
That clearance was typical R&R regardless of craftsman.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

jemtheflute wrote:Patently a Patent Head but has lost its silver crown cap.
Also likely; a stripped key way in the head joint It would be a fun weekend project... :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

U$1,892/£1,382. Not bad for a flute needing a major head rebuild job.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums