Humidity meter

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Humidity meter

Post by Steve Bliven »

Looking for a small, but accurate, humidity meter to keep in a flute case or Tupperware box (that holds the flute case) to ensure that things aren't drying out. Any suggestions?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jim stone

Re: Humidity meter

Post by jim stone »

I guess I'd check online. Makers often send these along with their flute, so might
be glad to sell you one, e.g. Dave Copley. These are, as you probably know,
simple, small devices and are probably pretty cheap.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

I've used this one for years - it's great - cheap, accurate, and small enough to fit it what I use, a bait box with adjusted dividers.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Thanks for the input thus far. It's the accuracy that is significant. I have several inexpensive meters and sitting side by side they read up to 20% different at any given time. Some will go up and some down with changes in weather—again sitting side by side.

Best wishes.

Steve
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

I have an Oasis like this (similar to Pat's Caliber IV) for my case when I'm out/away:
https://www.amazon.com/Oasis-Digital-Hy ... 075KMHQ4L/

And three of these (under the original Dostmann name) for 1. the room where I keep my wooden flute, pipes and recorders, 2. my living room and 3. my outside shed workshop:
https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technolog ... 000K2DBLS/

So, while not suggesting these Dostmann devices for a flute case, what I can tell you is that all four read within 2% or so of each other when placed together. Can't vouch for absolute accuracy and can't remember if the Oasis reads lowest or highest (have just switched it on beside one of the others and will report back when I've got stable readings), but can vouch for acceptable consistency between the four.

Edit (100 minutes later): just been back to check three together and, while I stood and watched...

One Dostmann started at 13.7°C 63% RH and moved to 13.8°C 64% RH.
Another Dostmann started at 13.7°C 61% RH and moved to 13.8°C 62% RH.
The Oasis started at 13.4°C 62% RH and moved to 13.7°C 64% RH.

The third Dostmann is out in the workshop so I didn't bring it in. Draw your own conclusions from the figures, but I'd say they're at least consistent with themselves and all close enough together to suggest some kind of common standard if not the kind of absolute accuracy that might cost orders of magnitude more.

The Oasis is far quicker to react to big changes (e.g. being moved to a new room), which I'd say is useful when that's my travelling device and the others normally live in fixed spots. But the Dostmanns are better as always-on, see-across-the-room devices, which is what I bought them for.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Peter Duggan wrote:... 13.7°C 64% RH.

... Draw your own conclusions from the figures ...
You've got heavier sweaters than I do.
bepoq
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

may I advise consulting this page? (no interest, but i've purchased from him) http://www.burgessviolins.com/products.html
Flutes, whistles, pipes: Come From Away, Broadway

CD, The Mouse in the Mug, available.

Avatar painting by Vincent Crotty of Kerry, now Boston. Visit his site here
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Interesting (to me at least) that the Burgess site demo of disagreeing meters shows three of the very ones I've been trying to use—and their strongly divergent opinions. Hence my interest in trying to find something at least kinda accurate.

Appreciate the input.

Best wishes.

Steve