New to this site, would like tips on selling a flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Seedofmudita
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just registering so that I can post about a beautiful flute (sweetheart walking stick fife) that I would to find a new owner for.

New to this site, would like tips on selling a flute

Post by Seedofmudita »

Hi there, its my first time on this site. I have a beautiful Sweetheart walking stick flute I would like to sell and was directed here. It looks as though this might be a good place to find a new owner for my flute. I bought it several years ago at lark in the morning and it has remained unplayed for all this time. I'm in Canada, so will be happy to ship it. If anyone has tips for using these forum I would be grateful for the help. I've made a post on the flute forum, so waiting for it to be approved. I see in the used instrument section that i need to have completed some kind of 3 post process, which I'm not sure i understand. Also not sure how to post pics of it. Is it recommended to have an ebay posting or something? I've never sent something I've sold to the US before so not sure if there's recommended ways to make that easier, and also to be verified so the buyer knows they can trust me, and I them. I guess using paypal is the easiest method for money exchange.
Thanks for any support.
Juliana

Here is the post i made if interested:
Maple Walking stick fife in Bb. made by Sweatheart Flutes http://www.sweetheartflute.com/ Not easy to find one of these anymore, the maker has stopped making them. I hope to find a happy home for this well made beauty. It is in perfect shape, barely used. Asking $200 OBO plus shipping from Canada. It doesn't look like I can post photos here, so if interested I can email you some.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: New to this site, would like tips on selling a flute

Post by AaronFW »

Welcome to Chiff and Fipple.

The 3 post process is part of a way of vetting the first few posts of a new member. Once a moderator approves 3 posts of yours, your posts will appear automatically and will no longer need moderator approval. After that point, you would be able to post in the used instrument section.

Part of the difficulty you will find is that a majority of musicians here may not have much interest in a walking-stick flute as it is somewhat more of a novelty flute. Also, the majority of flute players here play Irish music in pubs which isn't the best setting for walking-stick flutes. However, I think it is still worth posting here.

Having an eBay posting is useful. First, you cannot post images directly onto this forum, they need to be hosted elsewhere and eBay provides a good means of doing that. Second, posting on eBay will also widen the audience that will see your listing and might be interested in your flute. Third, eBay is also a good medium for handling money. If there is some sort of dispute, it is easier to handle it through that medium and, as a result, there is also more trust going into the deal.
Seedofmudita
Tell us something.: I'm just registering so that I can post about a beautiful flute (sweetheart walking stick fife) that I would to find a new owner for.

Re: New to this site, would like tips on selling a flute

Post by Seedofmudita »

Thanks you so much for your very informative reply AaronFW. :) Much appreciated.