CP: KEYS AND THE FUTURE OF MY FLUTES

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

CP: KEYS AND THE FUTURE OF MY FLUTES

Post by Casey Burns »

Just a reminder to everyone. After January 1st I will no longer be taking orders for my flutes with the hand forged and fitted keys in Sterling Silver. Retrofits will be judged on a case by case basis but generally no. I need to save my hands for music making and the key making and fitting is the hardest thing on them.

I am looking into a block mounted system using cast silicon bronze keys provided by the Port Townsend Foundry, and cast resin blocks that are glued and screwed. If these work I should be able to fit these to all flute models at a considerable reduction in cost. However, except for placement there will be no further tweaking available. These may or may not work out. We are just at the prototype stage.

If some maker would like to come and train on how I do these keys so as to do all of my occasional key and retrofit work, as well as train to do that for other makers' flutes, I would be up for that. Contact me by PM and I will send you more info. It will be after the Holiday rush before I consider any offers of help.

I need the time away from key making to build my retirement inventory, and proceed more on these Charanga Flutes. We will be having a big Charanga Cuban Flute scene featuring workshops and hot dances at Lark Camp in the summer of 2008. Anthony Rivera, who was the protege of Johnny Pacheco and Jose Fajardo will be leading all of this. Its very exciting to be organizing and sponsoring this!

Casey
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: CP: KEYS AND THE FUTURE OF MY FLUTES

Post by Casey Burns »

Also, I might make the occasional keyed flute with hand forged keys. Then offering these for sale.

Casey
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: CP: KEYS AND THE FUTURE OF MY FLUTES

Post by Steve Bliven »

Casey Burns wrote:We will be having a big Charanga Cuban Flute scene featuring workshops and hot dances at Lark Camp in the summer of 2008.
Wow, talk about retro. Back to the future all over again... :P

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.