Weird tenon ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
vermichou
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Weird tenon ?

Post by vermichou »

Hi folks,

Quick question: have you seen anything similar before? Looks like the tenon is... like a tuning slide?

Anyone can shed some light?

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Weird tenon ?

Post by kkrell »

Try asking flutemaker Jon C. (Jon Cornia of Cochran flutes) on this forum. Those look like the decorative rings he uses. Isn't the flute marked, or did you just come across a picture?
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Leboncoin.fr is some kind of french craigslist...

I found the original posting:
https://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de ... tm?ca=21_s

The flute is from Glen Lebot. So he's the guy who should be contacted:
http://glenlebot-instruments.com/

Nice and slightly weird looking... I have no idea if his flutes are good.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Matt_Paris wrote: The flute is from Glen Lebot. So he's the guy who should be contacted:
http://glenlebot-instruments.com/
Well-spotted. I had a look at his website, and it appears that he makes one model with a metal sleeve body that receives a simpler (1 piece) headjoint than as shown in the OP's photo. He also makes the more conventional 2-piece headjoint/tuning slide, which joins to a corked tenon on the upper joint. The OP photo seems to mix the 2.

Sorry, but the photos are large, so scrolling happens here.

Conventional head with tuning slide:

One-piece (monoblock?) head:
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Interesting/unusual Bb key as well.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Latticino wrote:Interesting/unusual Bb key as well.
Not that unusual. Right-hand operation, possibly as an accomodation to someone for comfort. He could probably whip up the more obvious key as well. His keyless flutes without the full tuning slide seem reasonably priced. Those patterned rings are still very much like Jon C.s. I wonder if they share the sourcing for them.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Looks like a broken tenon repair to me, not to hard to replace.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Jon C. wrote:Looks like a broken tenon repair to me, not to hard to replace.
It looks like one, but I think it may be the inner sleeve of a barrel-less slide design (monoblock head) intended by this French maker. The other pics show what may be an engraved (choice of) brass or silver-colored receiver that is part of the head. How's your French? I used Google Translate.
vermichou

Post by vermichou »

Thanks all! I was just curious, as it does look like an in-between.