WTB Copley Delrin

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: WTB Copley Delrin

Post by keithsandra »

Non wooden flutes can be left assembled to pick up and play every day, no rethreading, corking, greasing, oiling, humidifying, temperature control, or assembly before and disassembly after playing. You don't have to worry so much about dropping non-wood flutes either, nor about CITES or aircraft air pressure. As science assures us there's no difference in sound between wood or non wood, the choice between one or the other seems subjective. In my case I prefer the sound of a non wood flute with a metal sliding tuner, even if the wooden one is five times more expensive and comes with the reputation of being the best of its kind and the craftsman who makes it is great to deal with. Sound is the ultimate value, for my subjectiveness.

Best wishes,

K.
Latticino
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Latticino »

SirRoger wrote:The other option I am looking at is popping for a Shannon.. Or the Somers that is for sale on the Used forum.. except I have heard that the Somers is a very loud flute.. Anyone ??
I have a Somers small bore Rudall. Fit, finish and sound are extremely good IMHO, and the flute gets mistaken for a blackwood one regularly. As regards volume, to a great extent that is up to the player. One of the many benefits of playing flute over whistle is the ability to modulate volume to a greater degree. Subjectively, as regards maximum achievable volume, I would say that the Somers is slightly quieter than my Ward flute (which is based on a Hawks design and more Pratten like in crossection).
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
SirRoger
Tell us something.: Been reading long enough time to contribute..I see I need to write a little essay to convince you I am not a machine. I am interested in re learning the flute and have recently taken up the Tin Whistle.. I read the forums often.

Post by SirRoger »

Yep only thing the Somers on sale is a Pratten model. Looks like I will go for a Shannon on and see how I enjoy getting back to the flute. Can’t. Beat the price and reviews are good.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Good flute, but loud. Owned one.

FWIW, if you are going delrin, the Sommers Rudall flute mentioned above
comes closest to fitting your description of what you want. Of course
it isn't against the rules to buy from the maker. The flute is likely to retain
its value if you one day sell it.
SirRoger
Tell us something.: Been reading long enough time to contribute..I see I need to write a little essay to convince you I am not a machine. I am interested in re learning the flute and have recently taken up the Tin Whistle.. I read the forums often.

Post by SirRoger »

Well yep buying direct is great except Somers is in southern Brazil who knows what the lead time is.. thats one of the reasons for looking for used.. I talked to Walt Sweet but he says it will be a year before he makes flutes with in line non "ergonomic" hole placing..
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I believe Somers is moving pretty quickly. The info may be on his site and you can
ask him by e mail. Also he sends flutes to the Irish Flute Store occasionally.
Your court.
SirRoger

Post by SirRoger »

I have emailed Somers to find out whats up.. meanwhile still looking around..
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Please check your pm.
Thanks
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
SirRoger

Post by SirRoger »

Apparently I am not authorized to read or send PM's ?? so perhaps post here or email me..
Anybody know why I can't receive PM's ??
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

SirRoger wrote:Apparently I am not authorized to read or send PM's ?? so perhaps post here or email me..
Anybody know why I can't receive PM's ??
Usually requires a few posts before you are authorized, but may require a moderator to do so. Perhaps they haven't caught up to your post count yet. I'll flag your post to try to get their notice.
SirRoger

Post by SirRoger »

Thanks for the help..
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Thanks Kevin. SirRoger should be sorted now. :)
SirRoger

Post by SirRoger »

Well just an update to say thanks to everyone for chipping in.. I decided to buy a Shannon as Walt lives fairly close and I can get it right away.. seems like a fairly inexpensive way to see if my desire blossoms and then what do you know a collection may form in the future..
David Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by David Parkhurst »

SirRoger wrote:The other option I am looking at is popping for a Shannon.. Or the Somers that is for sale on the Used forum.. except I have heard that the Somers is a very loud flute.. Anyone ??
I've only had my Somers Pratten for a day or two. You can MAKE it play loud, and a Pratten has a lovely loud "honk" when pushed, but like any decent instrument it can be played quietly. My impression (I am NO expert) is that a Rudall style can be played more quietly, more easily. I love the "edge" you can get with a Pratten, though.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I'm amused by this discussion about flutes being "loud." Honestly, what well-made flute isn't loud?