An interesting read

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

An interesting read

Post by paddler »

I just stumbled across this free online copy of Kara Lochridge's thesis on Google Books. Its called "Where can I get a flute like yours?: Art and Material Culture in the Irish Flute Tradition".
It explores the development of the Irish flute, and contains interviews with several famous players and makers.
This may be old news, but I hadn't seen it before. I found it an interesting read ... much more entertaining than the typical thesis I get to read in my day job!
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: An interesting read

Post by AaronFW »

Thanks for posting, the article. I think I will have to move this to the front of my reading queue.

Interestingly, it seems that she had finished the thesis the same month that she began assisting Patrick Olwell with flutemaking and management.

Kara’s LinkedIn:
https://dk.linkedin.com/in/kara-lochridge-31280718
Cab
Tell us something.: Not sure whether I haven't registered at some time before but have come back to seek advice about a woodenflute maker.

Post by Cab »

Yes, thanks for the tip. I wonder how many other theses there are on our preferred music? I finished Reg Hall's on Irish music in London earlier this year - a mammoth read but full of fascinating insights. I shall get stuck into Ms Lochridge's straight away.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I wonder how many other theses there are on our preferred music?
Quite a few and then some. University of Limerick is churning them out [search Glucksman library UL] and I know of several done in NUIG Galway as well as universities all over the world.

It been a while but at some point I accessed and downloaded several thesis in PDF format (example : Geraldine Cotter's thesis or Hammy's). There's only so much re-conceptualising of virtual orality I can take though.
My brain hurts