Quiet playing Flute ?? Is there one..

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Quiet playing Flute ?? Is there one..

Post by Peter Duggan »

s1m0n wrote:Snottily rejecting an alternate solution to his problem is the opposite of gracious.
Nobody's being snotty. Just (like you) making alternative suggestions.
paddler wrote:Aulos makes a couple of baroque flutes in plastic. One is a Grenser model and the other is a Stanseby Jr. I think the latter is the better flute, but its pitched at A=415hz (which might not matter if you don't intend to play with others). The Grenser is pitched at A=440hz. These are not Irish session instruments, they are baroque flutes, but should match the requirements you outlined fairly well. They cost a few hundred dollars new, and can often be found for close to your target price used.
This is why I suggested Bernolin. I haven't tried the Aulos Stanesby Jr., but I have had the Grenser, my Bernolin (A=415) is better, and I'd expect any Bernolin to be better. And prices are comparable.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
ScottMaurer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Quiet playing Flute ?? Is there one..

Post by ScottMaurer »

With a good embouchure, any flute can be played quietly. I think you should look at a Burns folk flute. They can be pretty loud if you want but it's probably better suited to playing sweetly and quietly than the Copley. However, my Copley plays sweetly and quietly quite well so your mileage may vary.