Introducing Myself

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
honketyhank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I do not (yet?) play the flute, but I have an old Peloubet in need of repairs. If I have it repaired I will probably play around with it. But most likely, it will be passed on to one of the next generation. The flute came to me from my mother 50 years ago and she was confident that it was in the family for several generations previous to that.

Introducing Myself

Post by honketyhank »

Since I have just posted my first post, I figured I probably ought to introduce myself. Here goes. Believe it or not my life is based on a true story. And if it isn't true, it ought to be.

I am a retired flour miller. In my dotage I have taken up both golfing and mandolinning. Lord help me, now I find myself delving into things flutical.

Fifty years ago, my mother presented me with "The Abernethy Flute", apparently thinking that since I once played a clarinet in my school band, and a clarinet has a lot more silver thingies on it than this flute, and both are made from wood, well naturally I would soon become the James Galway that great, great, ..., great uncle Abernethy didn't know he aspired to be when he first bought the thing.

There is a separate thread concerning the "Abernethy Flute" and my interest in perhaps restoring it to playability. If interested - search for "Peloubet" in the topic line.

If I have the flute repaired (probably will if not terribly expensive) I will probably make an attempt to make something musical come out of it. But quite honestly, I am having a ball with learning the mandolin, so becoming halfway decent with the flute is probably a bit much to expect. There are several musical folks in the next generation (and the one after that) of my family, so it will most likely be passed on to one of them in the expectation that he or she will make Sir James sound like a real fumblefinger (just like my mother did to me).

So, there it is. Thank you in advance for humoring me and my questions.
Owner of too many mandolins, a couple of banjos, and an old flute.
jim stone

Re: Introducing Myself

Post by jim stone »

Hiya! I play mando too. It is a whole lot easier than flute, but, for me, anyhow, flute is
very satisfying. The chief virtue required is patience. You can get a sound from a mandolin
immediately. It takes a number of months for many people (e.g. me) to get a reliable sound
from the flute. I think it is well worth the trouble, but that's me... If you have any practical
questions about the flute, ask us. Kind regards.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Welcome aboard. :)

I'm another newbie to the practice of learning to get the embouchure right, bought my first second hand back in 2002, but couldn't 'get it' back then, so trying again now that I've retired, having learned ukulele & chromatic harmonica to a passable level since retiring.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Outromusico
Tell us something.: Hi! I’m a Galician musician, interested on all kinds of traditional flute playing and on traditional music in general.

Post by Outromusico »

jim stone wrote:I play mando too. It is a whole lot easier than flute, but, for me, anyhow, flute is
very satisfying.
Hi, everybody! I'm also new to the forum. Being mainly a guitar/mandolin player that has recently delved into the flute world, I can certainly agree with that statement!
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Outromusico wrote:
jim stone wrote:I play mando too. It is a whole lot easier than flute, but, for me, anyhow, flute is
very satisfying.
Hi, everybody! I'm also new to the forum. Being mainly a guitar/mandolin player that has recently delved into the flute world, I can certainly agree with that statement!
This is a little bit late, but Welcome!