Help with Peloubet flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Help with Peloubet flute

Post by Tunborough »

honketyhank wrote:And while that may or may not be true in a financial sense, it is true in a sentimental sense.
:thumbsup:
paddler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by paddler »

... it is worth restoring, keeping, and (hopefully) playing.
Good decision!
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

https://s1.postimg.org/618uxnvdtb/22218 ... 7897_o.jpg
Looks like a nice embouchure cut, should have it playing this weekend.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Thanks for posting. I'm sure a lot of us are intensely curious about how the magic happens, so feel free to post what you're doing in as much detail as you can.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
honketyhank
Tell us something.: I do not (yet?) play the flute, but I have an old Peloubet in need of repairs. If I have it repaired I will probably play around with it. But most likely, it will be passed on to one of the next generation. The flute came to me from my mother 50 years ago and she was confident that it was in the family for several generations previous to that.

Post by honketyhank »

The pix are great. Thank you.
Owner of too many mandolins, a couple of banjos, and an old flute.
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Do you keep the whistle handy in case you feel the need?
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Adrian W. wrote:
Do you keep the whistle handy in case you feel the need?
Yes, you should never be far from your whistle!

Here are some more photos of the Peloubet restoration, sorry I missed some key steps, but it is the usual crack and ivory ring repairs...
The flute is awesome, BTW.
https://postimg.org/gallery/27vrh9y00/
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Michael Flatley

Jon
paddler

Post by paddler »

Nice work! And great job matching the color and grain on the crown and stopper. With a little bit of darkening with age that will be about as close to perfect as you can get. By coincidence, I just spent the afternoon turning a threaded cork holder with decorative finial and threaded crown for one of my own flutes. It takes a surprising amount of time to produce, finish and fit such a small and easily overlooked part.

I'm not surprised to hear that this flute its a great player. I really like some of these American antiques. They tend to be very well in tune at modern pitch, much more so than many of the English antiques, and they often have beautiful quality wood. Most people seem to either not know very much about antique American flutes, or have only heard of Firth, Hall and Pond (together), but other makers such as Peloubet and Riley (both F and E Riley) made some really excellent instruments, as did Firth, Hall and Pond independently and in various combinations with sons etc. And just as not all "Rudalls" are identical to each other, there is also a fair bit of diversity in tone hole sizes and playing characteristics among these various antique American flutes. I don't know if I'll ever get around to it, but I've been thinking about trying to shed some light (pictures, measurements, and information) on this subject, based on some of the flutes I have had access to.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Yes, screw adjusting crowns are time consuming...
Don't forget Asa Hopkins from Fluteville one of the innovative great American flute makers, also Pfaff made beautiful flutes.

The reason the wood was such good quality, England kind of got cut off, being the supply came from the Jamaican Islands or "West Indies" as the British called it. I believe the wood imports were ballast on the slave ships heading back to Europe, also the war of Independence might have cut off the supply. I have seen some of the most beautiful cocuswood used for the American flutes. I think the British were also substituting the real cocuswood with a ebony found in India, I have seen encyclopedia entries alluding to using a Coco wood from the "East Indies", which they mentioned that they hoped was as good...

https://books.google.com/books/content? ... C88&edge=0
Last edited by Jon C. on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Flatley

Jon
honketyhank
Tell us something.: I do not (yet?) play the flute, but I have an old Peloubet in need of repairs. If I have it repaired I will probably play around with it. But most likely, it will be passed on to one of the next generation. The flute came to me from my mother 50 years ago and she was confident that it was in the family for several generations previous to that.

Post by honketyhank »

Wow. Looks amazing! And I am really pleased to hear that it sounds good too.
Owner of too many mandolins, a couple of banjos, and an old flute.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Jon C. wrote:I think the British were also substituting the real cocuswood with a ebony found in India, I have seen encyclopedia entries alluding to using a Coco wood from the "East Indies", which they mentioned that they hoped was as good...
There's a yellowish asian wood that I think the victorians in India were using for wind instruments and pipes, and calling "cocus" (because everyone knows that's what you call flute-wood), although it's not a Dalbergia at all. Before the Pakistani unstrument makers learned that irish flutes are black, you used to see yellow flutes show up on Ebay from time to time described as cocus. I think the term still has local use for that wood. One guy I exchanged messages with had no idea that there was a west indian cocus that isn't what he called cocus. I wonder if that's the wood your encyclopedia refers to.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

s1m0n wrote:
Jon C. wrote:I think the British were also substituting the real cocuswood with a ebony found in India, I have seen encyclopedia entries alluding to using a Coco wood from the "East Indies", which they mentioned that they hoped was as good...
There's a yellowish asian wood that I think the victorians in India were using for wind instruments and pipes, and calling "cocus" (because everyone knows that's what you call flute-wood), although it's not a Dalbergia at all. Before the Pakistani unstrument makers learned that irish flutes are black, you used to see yellow flutes show up on Ebay from time to time described as cocus. I think the term still has local use for that wood. One guy I exchanged messages with had no idea that there was a west indian cocus that isn't what he called cocus. I wonder if that's the wood your encyclopedia refers to.
I remember the write up saying it was a dark brown wood thus the "coco" or brown. I have restored a lot of English flutes over the years, and many of them were a brown wood, probably ebony, but not the real cocuswood. It would be interesting to test it in a lab. I know Madgascar ebony looks similar to cocuswood, but tends to crack easily. The German flutmakers like Meyer used Madagascar rosewood for his flutes...
Michael Flatley

Jon
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I was reading your thread with the idea of recommending Jon Cornia for the repairs, but it looks like you've already gotten there. He does excellent work and has a wealth of experience.