It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:02 pm 

Even gets a original era case for it, just finished the red velvet interior.

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:19 pm 

Wow. I hope whichever relative Hank decides to bestow this on appreciates vintage flutes. You've done great work.

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:53 pm 

s1m0n wrote:
Wow. I hope whichever relative Hank decides to bestow this on appreciates vintage flutes. You've done great work.

I'm going to take a few lessons so I can learn which hole to blow into :) and maybe do a simple Christmas tune before I commit to where it might go next. It really looks good, doesn't it. My mandolins will be jealous.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:29 pm 

It looks great. IMO, God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen sounds really good on the flute, when you're starting out. It's at core a dance tune*, so it's still interesting without words, and it has a cast-iron, 1000 year old melody that fits well on a flute or whistle without awkward accidentals.

Simple system (6 hole) flutes and whistles play best in D, G, & A - 1 to 3 sharps. With a 4 key flute, you have more options, but it's usual to learn to play the holes before you learn to play the keys.

*A carol from the days when carol meant a round dance.

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:45 am 

Congratulations and accolades, as usual, for Jon's work. They always look like new when he is finished with them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:40 pm 

kmag wrote:
... accolades, as usual, for Jon's work. They always look like new when he is finished with them.

He also did some nice work on the Klemm and Brothers Boxwood that Sillydill has for sale in another thread. :thumbsup:

Best wishes.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:32 pm 

Be patient with yourself on the Flute. Do not be disappointed if you can't make any sound for the first xxx number of weeks. It comes around, eventually. There is some physicality involved (breath, posture & finger strength), but it is the embouchure that takes time.

I came to flute from whistle, so I had the tunes and the fingering fairly solid. Still, my flute journey took six months before I could make decent quality notes, and another six before I gained some consistency.

I had personal embouchure instruction at two critical points (6 & 12 months) to correct and encourage proper tonal quality. For that a classical flute teacher is just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:48 pm 

Yeah. A lot of embouchure is muscle tone, and there's simply no rushing it. No amount of knowledge is going to shorten the process. It's one of the reasons why I recommended getting a whistle. The techniques transfer directly, and it'll bring you to pleasant music way faster.
The knowledge that you're banking tunes and technique that you'll be able to apply to your flute as soon as your embouchure comes round can keep you going through the frustrating months.

C.S. Lewis