Help with Peloubet flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Help with Peloubet flute

Post by Jon C. »

Even gets a original era case for it, just finished the red velvet interior.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Wow. I hope whichever relative Hank decides to bestow this on appreciates vintage flutes. You've done great work.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
honketyhank
Tell us something.: I do not (yet?) play the flute, but I have an old Peloubet in need of repairs. If I have it repaired I will probably play around with it. But most likely, it will be passed on to one of the next generation. The flute came to me from my mother 50 years ago and she was confident that it was in the family for several generations previous to that.

Post by honketyhank »

s1m0n wrote:Wow. I hope whichever relative Hank decides to bestow this on appreciates vintage flutes. You've done great work.
I'm going to take a few lessons so I can learn which hole to blow into :) and maybe do a simple Christmas tune before I commit to where it might go next. It really looks good, doesn't it. My mandolins will be jealous.
Owner of too many mandolins, a couple of banjos, and an old flute.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

It looks great. IMO, God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen sounds really good on the flute, when you're starting out. It's at core a dance tune*, so it's still interesting without words, and it has a cast-iron, 1000 year old melody that fits well on a flute or whistle without awkward accidentals.

Simple system (6 hole) flutes and whistles play best in D, G, & A - 1 to 3 sharps. With a 4 key flute, you have more options, but it's usual to learn to play the holes before you learn to play the keys.

*A carol from the days when carol meant a round dance.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

Congratulations and accolades, as usual, for Jon's work. They always look like new when he is finished with them.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

kmag wrote: ... accolades, as usual, for Jon's work. They always look like new when he is finished with them.
He also did some nice work on the Klemm and Brothers Boxwood that Sillydill has for sale in another thread. :thumbsup:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Be patient with yourself on the Flute. Do not be disappointed if you can't make any sound for the first xxx number of weeks. It comes around, eventually. There is some physicality involved (breath, posture & finger strength), but it is the embouchure that takes time.

I came to flute from whistle, so I had the tunes and the fingering fairly solid. Still, my flute journey took six months before I could make decent quality notes, and another six before I gained some consistency.

I had personal embouchure instruction at two critical points (6 & 12 months) to correct and encourage proper tonal quality. For that a classical flute teacher is just fine.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Yeah. A lot of embouchure is muscle tone, and there's simply no rushing it. No amount of knowledge is going to shorten the process. It's one of the reasons why I recommended getting a whistle. The techniques transfer directly, and it'll bring you to pleasant music way faster.
The knowledge that you're banking tunes and technique that you'll be able to apply to your flute as soon as your embouchure comes round can keep you going through the frustrating months.

C.S. Lewis
honketyhank
Tell us something.: I do not (yet?) play the flute, but I have an old Peloubet in need of repairs. If I have it repaired I will probably play around with it. But most likely, it will be passed on to one of the next generation. The flute came to me from my mother 50 years ago and she was confident that it was in the family for several generations previous to that.

Post by honketyhank »

Wow. Flute and new old case arrived today via Priority Mail. Well packed and in good shape. The flute is great. Everything is polished. I can't find the old crack. New adjustable end cap. New pads. New thread on the tenons. The case is perfect. Nice size, even has the original key. Very appropriate case for a 170 year old flute that looks not a day over 39.

I put it together and wonder of wonders, was able to get actual semi-musical notes. Played a scale. I may need to work a bit on expanding my repertoire. I am really surprised that I got some nice sounding notes despite my never having played a flute before. It must be a nice flute to be that forgiving.

Some photos:

Thank you to all you folks who watched and recommended Jon Cornia to do the work.

Special thanks to Jon for such a nice job and careful craftsmanship.

edit: I just looked at the 'before' pictures and see that there were two cracks to be repaired. I can't find either one of them even though I know exactly where they were.
Owner of too many mandolins, a couple of banjos, and an old flute.