Fife thread

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fatmac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Fife thread

Post by fatmac »

Looking around for info about fifes, but didn't find much, so I thought I'd try starting a thread for them. :)

I'd be interested in hearing anything about them here in this thread.

I bought a Yamaha fife on a whim, & whilst it is reasonable for the price, I believe it is aimed at children, hence why the lowest hole is offset, which turns out to be tricky for me.

So I found myself another reasonably priced alternative, it is a Pastalit Trommelflote (Querflote) Nr. 130P, in B, (& now knowing that the Germans use B to represent Bb & H to represent B), it appears to be a standard Bb fife, made of some kind of hard plastic, with metal ferrules at each end. Certainly looks the business.

It has the usual six holes, plus a raised seventh for the little finger. I've managed to play up & down the scale on it, in two octaves, I think the lower & middle, & I much prefer this one to the Yamaha. :)

My original intention was to use this to perfect & strengthen my embouchure for my flute & piccolo, but I think I may just have some fun with this, as I can just pick it up & 'play' it.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
jim stone

Re: Fife thread

Post by jim stone »

Playing fifes can be great help for developing one's embouchure.
I like Sweetheart fifes--play an older 'diamond wood' pic, also a G fife.
I play a Billy Miller bamboo Bb, very good and inexpensive.
I think the bamboo/cane flutes aren't sufficiently appreciated--
they can be truly expressive. I lucked out and got an A Olwell
bamboo cane flute from Doc Jones, which has served me for years. Do remember
to protect your hearing--probably for standard D flutes too.
The inexpensive foam earplugs sold at pharmacies are, IMO,
as effective as anything expensive.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Second the hearing protection, especially if you got to the third octave and beyond.
Check out Fastnacht Basel on the 'web to get the scope of what you've touched upon.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Spielorjh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

I have a tuneable aluminum D fife with lip plate from Angus Fifes (custom addition - he did it cheerfully and quickly). I have a lot of fun with it.

It is not a subtle instrument in any way, and I second the recommendation for hearing protection. I played it once with my hearing aids in by accident...then I hit the second octave.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

i have lost my high-frequency hearing in my left ear from all the years of fifing (I haven't played in years....but the residual remains) long before ear protection was the thing.
Use it and save yourself the troubles that come later.