Finger Vibrato exercises.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Rusco
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Finger Vibrato exercises.

Post by Rusco »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:That seems odd.
Agreed.
More natural, too.
And again.

Yeah, I understand where JCortese is coming from with the rotation idea, I play piano too and it does help there. That said, the flute is another instrument and the guys whose styles I admire most on flute, whistle and uillean pipes seem to just have this amazing control over finger speed when playing vibrato. I don't see much evidence of wrist rotation in their playing but maybe I'll check a few vids in slo-mo. Interesting discussion anyway guys, (for me at least) Thanks a million.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Rusco wrote:Yeah, I understand where JCortese is coming from with the rotation idea, I play piano too and it does help there. That said, the flute is another instrument and the guys whose styles I admire most on flute, whistle and uillean pipes seem to just have this amazing control over finger speed when playing vibrato. I don't see much evidence of wrist rotation in their playing but maybe I'll check a few vids in slo-mo. Interesting discussion anyway guys, (for me at least) Thanks a million.
I play piano also. Well, not so much these days, but back in the day I was winning competitions (local ones) with it. Thought of making it a career at one point ... Rotating the wrist instead of using the fingers properly was seen as poor technique. And, I must admit, on piano, as well as on flute, I find it distinctly unhelpful. If you get the fingers working properly, you don't need to even move the wrist. Look at some of the best pianists - sometimes it seems almost magical how still their wrists are.

Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpZr_cbYbXo
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:Thought of making it a career at one point
You were better than me, then, Ben! Despite it being the instrument I still use most in my career...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Thought of making it a career at one point
You were better than me, then, Ben! Despite it being the instrument I still use most in my career...
Ah well, you'd be better than me now. It's a funny thing, how we change over a lifetime. (Says he, contemplatively.)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:Ah well, you'd be better than me now.
I meant 'then' as in 'if you'd contemplated it as a career' and not as in 'in those days'! I've always been a limited pianist (a bit of a bodger, really), though people round here (geographic, not C&F!) seem to think I'm better than I am because that's what they see me doing most and they've limited basis for comparison. So probably the most perceptive and treasured comment on my pianism I can remember was way back in Edinburgh University days, when I heard lecturer Colin Kingsley (who was a fine concert pianist) describe me to someone as 'a useful piano player'. Which I take as code for 'a good bodger'! :)

Edit: just Googled him, and good to see he's still around and playing at 92! :)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?