Which type of flute do you play.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
musicaddict99
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music. I mostly play tin whistle but also dabble in other folk instruments.

Re: Which type of flute do you play.

Post by musicaddict99 »

I am mainly a whistle player, but if I play a flute, it is 90% of the time
a piece of PVC I turned into a flute. I guess the answer is "a piece of
PVC schedule 40 pipe!"

I will buy a Doug Tipple flute in the future though.
JCortese
Tell us something.: I got interested in flutes because I already play piano and harp and am interested in instruments that aren't also furniture, and that you can get onto an airplane without getting into a fight with the gate agent.

Post by JCortese »

In my .signature -- mostly a Copley Delrin, 6 key. However, I do keep my M&E keyless assembled and next to my bed.
--
Home flute: 6-key Copley & Boegli Delrin D
https://accidentalflutist.wordpress.com/
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

John Gallagher large holed Rudall keyless D flute in boxwood.
Peter Noy large holed model six key D flute with the Pratten embouchure in blackwood.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

I play a Windward (Forbes and Yola Christie) keyless D flute in blackwood. It's a Pratten-ish design.

It's my only flute, bought as a beginner to Irish flute a few years ago, on the premise that I wanted a flute that was definitely "better than me and not holding me back." So far, so good. I'm still trying to live up to the potential. If I make enough progress, then one day I'll treat myself to one with keys.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Burns D in Boxwood- 6 key. (My favorite)
Burns D Folk Flute
Somers D, Delrin- 8 key (Pratten). Keys added by Maurice Reviol.
M&E Ebonite 8 key
Pearl Open Hole with B Foot (Boehm System). Another favorite.
Yamaha (Boehm System) Closed hole with C foot
2 other Boehm System Flutes, one is open hole with a B foot, the other is a closed hole with C foot (can't recall makers at present)
Doug Tipple D Flute with lip plate and wedge (PVC)
German made, blackwood, 11 keyed flute sold/stamped in Norway (early 1900's), very good player and in very good condition.
That's about it for me, as far as flutes are concerned.
Cab
Tell us something.: Not sure whether I haven't registered at some time before but have come back to seek advice about a woodenflute maker.

Post by Cab »

6 key Lehart
Keyless Doyle
Keyless Murray
Keyless delrin Forbes
Assorted bamboo Olwells
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

At $85 for a new flute you can't go wrong with a Tipple. I'm still playing his four piece white with lip plate and wedge after 12 years and I've bought and been given 11 wooden and polymer flutes since then, including a new Olwell Pratten, an Olwell RnR and an excellent M&E RnR that sings like a lark.

As for the Olwells, with their strong volume and ease of playing, they teach as they play - dexterity; rhythm; expressiveness; phrasing; when to place ornamentation perfectly for musicality and when ornamentation is just showing off. They are uncanny and on my side in all my musical endeavours ...

But the Olwells are wooden.

The antique wooden ones of my collection have cost hundreds in crack repairs and restoration. The sweetest one now lies neglected with yet another crack.

My Tipple half holes easily (!?), plays easily, and sounds much like the best of the rest according to my (polite?) listeners. I can play ITM aires, classical, operas, musicals' tunes, adult pop - seemingly anything on my soft or loud (mainly loud), in tune Tipple. I leave it assembled to pick up and play every day. It needs minimum maintenance, no rethreading, corking, greasing, oiling, humidifying, temperature control, or assembly before and disassembly after playing. I don't have to worry about CITES or aircraft air pressure either.

For the same low maintenance, and for pure classical sweetness I also play the always assembled polymer R&R M&E.

I’ll still buy flutes; but no more wooden ones thank you, even as a gift, however magic.

Best wishes,

Keith.
Last edited by keithsandra on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

I play a keyless Lehart. Bought it a year ago, don't think I'll need another flute. Before that i played a WD Sweet Shannon keyless delrin flute, which is a fantastic player for the money. Stil blast out a tune or two on that one, but the Lehart takes the cake for me.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

benhall.1 wrote: You'll find many people on this site with similar flutes, I should imagine.
I play old R&R(s) too.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

For many years I played an original c1830 Rudall & Rose, in boxwood with ivory rings, and 8 sterling silver keys. The foot had pewter plugs which functioned perfectly.

Then I switched to a c1860 Koehler & Son, London, in cocus, with 8 German Silver keys. It had near-identical specs to Pratten flutes of the same period, and had that big Pratten sound.

I never played a new flute, except at the beginning; my first flute was an early Ralph Sweet, which I bought from him around 1977.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
mcelvogue

Post by mcelvogue »

I play a Holmes-McNaughton D in pink ivory and a Corrigan F in blackwood. Both lovely flutes

JJW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by JJW »

Chris Wilkes 8-key cocus Rudall, early 1990s
Casey Burns keyless blackwood Rudall
Casey Burns boxwood folk flute
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

John Gallagher 8-key Pratten, Garry Somers delrin keyless in D, and a Copley delrin keyless in F
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
sligofluter

Post by sligofluter »

Glenn Watson blackwood 6 keys (amazing instrument).
M&E polymer keyless.
Our irish music blog in Spanish: https://theirishflow.com/
bderusha
Tell us something.: I am am traditional irish flute and whistle player looking to chat with like-minded musicians. I'm relatively new to the music still trying to find a good fit and my own style.

Post by bderusha »

Garry Somers delrin keyless and a Sweetheart blackwood keyless both in D