May I ask what kind of music you like to play.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fatmac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

May I ask what kind of music you like to play.

Post by fatmac »

What kind of music do you like to play?

I've just joined & I'd be interested to hear about the kinds of music each of you play. :)

I tend to play gentle/ballad type of music, a bit of folk, a bit of trad jazz, some rock, some blues.
I have a rather eclectic taste. :lol:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: May I ask what kind of music you like to play.

Post by benhall.1 »

I guess that, like me, most folks around here would prefer to play Irish music.
awildman

Post by awildman »

Mainly Irish. Bit of other trad/folk occasionally like Scottish or contra.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

My group, Gallowglass, plays mostly trad Irish but also American period music (usually 18th century). I also play trumpet and silver flute in a Catholic choir.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Hi - Mainly Irish trad, a few English, Scots, Breton tunes and anything I hear that I like the sound of.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:I guess that, like me, most folks around here would prefer to play Irish music.
Me? No... some Irish and some other trad, but weighted more towards Scottish and Shetland. As well as all kinds of other stuff (talk about eclectic!), but not as some amorphous fusion hotchpotch!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I do a mish-mash. I play a lot of Carolan and Playford tunes, a little IrTrad, and a little baroque music. I like the really old Irish and British sources.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

chas wrote:I do a mish-mash. I play a lot of Carolan and Playford tunes, a little IrTrad, and a little baroque music. I like the really old Irish and British sources.
Are you thinking of any other sources, apart from Carolan and Playford? Just curious ...
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

Mainly English, with some French, Scandinavian, and Western European (for example there's lots of exciting music and great newly-composed tunes coming out of Belgium at the moment).

I know some fairly bog-standard Irish and Scottish chestnuts that crop up in mixed sessions, but that's about it for those repertoires.
chas

Post by chas »

benhall.1 wrote:
chas wrote:I do a mish-mash. I play a lot of Carolan and Playford tunes, a little IrTrad, and a little baroque music. I like the really old Irish and British sources.
Are you thinking of any other sources, apart from Carolan and Playford? Just curious ...
John and William Neal, I think mid-1700's

Petrie, mid-late 1800's

Joyce, my edition is dated 1909, I think it was earlier, maybe 1870's

The Neal collection is the oldest Irish music collection. It's whence some of the Carolan tunes in (I can't remember his name)'s collection were sourced. (AFAIK, it's not at all available. When I was looking 15 years ago or so, you couldn't even get it second-hand. I found a facsimile edition at a university library and copied it.) The other two are also Irish, mixture of song airs and dance tunes. All very cool.

I have a few tunes from each on a Baltimore Consort album (which is how I knew to look for them), but haven't seen them mentioned elsewhere. It's kinda nice to do tunes as you imagine them rather than as you've heard them. We grownups tend to lose imagination, and I like to use mine.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Look what I've found :) :

https://www.itma.ie/shop/a-collection-o ... as-carolan

I might look at buying that, on your recommendation, chas. :)
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

dunnp wrote:http://port.itma.ie/browse?collectionId=neal

Available digitally here.
Thanks for that. Very useful.

I notice that there are several duplications in the online list, which presumably means that some of the 49 tunes are absent. Now I'm going to have to buy the book anyway, just to be sure!
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Nice coincidence. I was looking for the Neal Collection the other day and couldn't find it on itma site.
Today I remembered their new port site. Good stuff here.

Off work today. Going to work up the Fairy Queen for pipes.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

benhall.1 wrote:I notice that there are several duplications in the online list, which presumably means that some of the 49 tunes are absent. Now I'm going to have to buy the book anyway, just to be sure!
Yes, but there are 57 entries in total over two pages, which suggests there are 8 duplicates in the list and no entries omitted. Let us know.