May I ask what kind of music you like to play.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: May I ask what kind of music you like to play.

Post by benhall.1 »

Tunborough wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I notice that there are several duplications in the online list, which presumably means that some of the 49 tunes are absent. Now I'm going to have to buy the book anyway, just to be sure!
Yes, but there are 57 entries in total over two pages, which suggests there are 8 duplicates in the list and no entries omitted. Let us know.
I looked for a second page! I know I did ...

[mutter]
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Thanks so much, Ben and Pat!

It had been some time (probably 10-15 years) since I last looked for it.

If you want to listen to some of the tunes, the Baltimore Consort Irish album is on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE7CjyAmBm8
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Peter Otto
Tell us something.: Hi, I started having a go at playing the flute a few weeks ago and I noticed your forum is the place to be for finding information.

Post by Peter Otto »

I try Irish and Breton trad and O'Carolan playing the flute with my girlfriend, baroque at school (traverso), 90s punk rock, grunge and blues on guitar :D

kr,
Peter
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I play a good deal of ITM, partly because that's the spine of the wooden flute repertoire and the best way to build chops. But I also play lots of American Fiddle Tunes (Old Time Music). The Irish flute works wonderfully with this, for pretty much the same reasons it suits ITM. I sometimes am looked at a little strangely in OT sessions at first, though much less after I play, and generally such sessions are welcoming. In fact a lot of the tunes we play were played on flute back in the 19th century, at least so I figure, cause lots of flutes were sold in the USA, they are mobile, they sound fine, and I expect lots of people had the chops from playing fife in the Civil War. People basically picked up the instruments they had and played them. Also I play blues--since I'm busking with a blues band--and the Irish Flute is, IMO, a good blues instrument cause it's gutsy and it wails. Also I play a fair amount of classical tunes, mostly Bach, ballads, show tunes, Beatles tunes, and anything else that strikes my fancy.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

..... and anything else that strikes my fancy.
A man after my own heart. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
JCortese
Tell us something.: I got interested in flutes because I already play piano and harp and am interested in instruments that aren't also furniture, and that you can get onto an airplane without getting into a fight with the gate agent.

Post by JCortese »

Started with Irish tunes since that's the gateway onto a SS flute, but I rapidly headed off to opera and Medieval plainchant. The opera was inevitable* but the plainchant surprised even me.

* You hand even an Irish flute to an Italian and eventually opera's gonna get blown out of it.
--
Home flute: 6-key Copley & Boegli Delrin D
https://accidentalflutist.wordpress.com/
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

JCortese wrote:Started with Irish tunes since that's the gateway onto a SS flute
* You hand even an Irish flute to an Italian and eventually opera's gonna get blown out of it.
There is no Irish flute. Unless it's actually Irish or at least playing Irish music. I hate the term!

For sure, Copley and Boegli flutes like yours and mine are:
'tapered bore "simple system" flutes based on originals made in England during the 1800's, with the greatest influence being the flutes made by Hawkes and Son of London. The design has been adapted to give the characteristics sought after by players Irish Traditional Music.'

But what do you think people played on 19th century English flutes in the 19th century?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
awildman

Post by awildman »

This is not the 18th not the 19th century. Like it or not, the flute has become an (the) Irish flute.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Can only partially agree, and reluctantly even there. No problem with it being an Irish flute if it's Irish and/or playing Irish music, but calling it the Irish flute regardless? No, I still think that's a terrible misnomer!

Play a gig (or record an album) of Irish music on it and call that/advertise it as 'The Irish Flute'? Fine, because you're talking about the usage as much as the instrument. Call the instrument itself the Irish flute? Huge contextual reservations!

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

JCortese wrote:Started with Irish tunes since that's the gateway onto a SS flute, but I rapidly headed off to opera and Medieval plainchant. The opera was inevitable* but the plainchant surprised even me.

Have you been to Italy lately? There are some of the best players of Irish music on wooden simple system flutes around. They're Italians. Tommaso Tornielli is a member here, with a CD released earlier this year, also featuring Oisin MacDiarmada and others. No opera there.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:players of Irish music on wooden simple system flutes
:party:

Master of nine?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:players of Irish music on wooden simple system flutes
:party:
You will have recognised that this was a form of implied agreement with you, Peter, about the term "Irish flute". It makes me wince, because the flutes we play are specifically not Irish in origin. Most of them are English in origin, style and design. But then, so is the tin whistle.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:You will have recognised that this was a form of implied agreement with you, Peter
Knew it was at least a quiet acknowledgement! :)
But then, so is the tin whistle.
And you won't hear me talking about the Irish whistle either. Or tin whistle or penny whistle when just 'whistle' covers all bases and is never wrong.

Master of nine?
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Irish initially but over the last couple of years more Scottish, English, Welsh and Breton.

My technique is influenced mainly by Irish tutor books and a few workshops. I am wondering if I am missing out on some techniques that are good for the tunes from other areas. I will start another discussion asking about that.
piperJules
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by piperJules »

*But what do you think people played on 19th century English flutes in the 19th century?
"Come, raise a tune, Master Oak!"
"Ay, that I will," said Gabriel, pulling out his flute and putting it together. "A poor tool, neighbours; but such as I can do ye shall have and welcome."
Oak then struck up "Jockey to the Fair," and played that sparkling melody three times through accenting the notes in the third round in a most artistic and lively manner by bending his body in small jerks and tapping with his foot to beat time.
"He can blow the flute very well -- that 'a can," said a young married man, who having no individuality worth mentioning was known as "Susan Tall's husband." He continued, "I'd as lief as not be able to blow into a flute as well as that."

Thomas Hardy "Far From the Madding Crowd" Chapter 8.

Personally, I play (mainly) French, Breton, English, Irish, Scottish and contemporary stuff on my Scottish made simple system Flute... :D