A wooden flute maintenance question

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Re: A wooden flute maintenance question

Post by clark »

I see implied in some of these responses is the assumption that you take the flute apart in order to swab it. If, however, you get one of those "flute flags" (http://home.nethere.net/roger45/fluteflaga.htm) you can swab your instrument without taking it apart. I've used these for years and they are particularly useful during a gig. Several times in the course of a three hour gig I swab my flute out between tune sets. The kind that are mounted to a thin rod (that screws together) fits easily in a conical bore flute. Some of these are made with a thicker delrin rod that works on a silver flute, but not a trad.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

clark wrote:I see implied in some of these responses is the assumption that you take the flute apart in order to swab it. If, however, you get one of those "flute flags" (http://home.nethere.net/roger45/fluteflaga.htm) you can swab your instrument without taking it apart. I've used these for years and they are particularly useful during a gig. Several times in the course of a three hour gig I swab my flute out between tune sets. The kind that are mounted to a thin rod (that screws together) fits easily in a conical bore flute. Some of these are made with a thicker delrin rod that works on a silver flute, but not a trad.
I think part of the point made by other posters is that, for periods when the flute is not in use, it may be advisable both to swab the flute and to take it apart. Otherwise moisture can remain in the joints and damage them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I think part of the point made by other posters is that, for periods when the flute is not in use, it may be advisable both to swab the flute and to take it apart. Otherwise moisture can remain in the joints and damage them.
Yes.

Personally, I wouldn't swab out during a performance. That is for after.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I think part of the point made by other posters is that, for periods when the flute is not in use, it may be advisable both to swab the flute and to take it apart. Otherwise moisture can remain in the joints and damage them.
Yes.

Personally, I wouldn't swab out during a performance. That is for after.
I agree.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Responding to the last two posts, I do sometimes need to swab out during a performance or session. Some flutes seem to be "wetter" than others or more affected by accumulated water in the bore, and the old close all holes, take deep breath, choose target and give a long blast through the embouchure hole technique doesn't always clear it satisfactorily. Also some players are "wetter" than others, and varying ambient atmospheric conditions can affect the rate of accumulation of condensation in the bore.

On the other hand, at home, when I pause or finish playing, I rarely swab out or disassemble. The flute in use tends just to be stood upright in a safe place to drain/dry out by evaporation.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads