Help identifying instrument.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Chuckarney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I was a member many years ago when the board was new and Dale Wisely was administrator. I have not been on in many years. I am a historic music reenactor of Irish and Scottish music and instruments. I was gifted an Eb fife and would like to post pictures to the forum to get more information about the instrument.

Help identifying instrument.

Post by Chuckarney »

I was gifted a side-blown piccolo in Eb that needs some TLC. I would like information on maker, etc. it is missing the one key for the tonic half-step (E in this case). It seems to be rosewood with German silver ferrules. This looks like an instrument that might have had an interchangeable fipple head to play as a whistle. The only marking is a faint Eb on the head. It looks to be well-made but fairly old. Any information would be appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CuSx1o7qrNCGqmzm1
Last edited by Chuckarney on Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
an seanduine

Re: Help identifying instrument.

Post by an seanduine »

Looks like a fun project. Identifying a maker will be problematic. Your best bet will be to employ a bright light with magnification and closely examine all over for any maker's mark. It does appear old.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

nice
Chuckarney
Tell us something.: I was a member many years ago when the board was new and Dale Wisely was administrator. I have not been on in many years. I am a historic music reenactor of Irish and Scottish music and instruments. I was gifted an Eb fife and would like to post pictures to the forum to get more information about the instrument.

Post by Chuckarney »

I have scrutinized this instrument under magnification and there are no markings on it whatsoever except the key which I noted. I was hoping someone might identify it from the posted pictures. Thanks!

Chuck
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

While possible, I doubt this had a matching fipple head.
In my experience when a fipple head is present the instrument
generally does not have a separate barrel.
The 'slide' is incorporated into the upper body like this example:
http://irishpiccolo.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... n.html?m=0
Or there is no tuning slide and there is a 'reverse tenon'.
What pitch does it play at?
If it is high pitched? For the band market? Perhaps made in England or for flute bands in the UK but made in India?
All the best
Patrick

(Edit looking again it appears to be cocus wood, I had an anonymous D flute of London make with very similar rings , one piece of metal with the ring incised into the band.)
Chuckarney

Post by Chuckarney »

Dear Patrick, thank you for that information. The instrument is pitched in Eb. The body of the instrument is slightly smaller in length than a high D whistle. This is why I called it a piccolo. It is also the reason I thought it might have had a fipple head at one time. There are a couple of splits in the head and tuning band that I must fix before I can play it.

Chuck