It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:26 pm 

Hi. I am not very good at music, but I like to try and play multiple instruments, and I am always
looking out for new things to try and play.

I was looking on ebay, and I saw some hand made flutes made from pine and oak wood.
Now, I am no expert on flutes, but I know flutes are normally not made from these woods,
but I decided to take a chance, since the flutes were very cheap, and I bought the last
remaining oak flute in low D.

I picked oak over the pine, because as far as I know, oak is a harder wood, and probably makes better
flutes. I know I should probably save up and buy a flute in the $300-$500 range (since that is what
the good beginner flutes seem to cost) but since it was made outside of Pakistan, I decided to take a chance.

Here is the seller, if you want to take a look:http://www.ebay.com/usr/pgrimmitt?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:40 pm 

I didn't check your seller out, so I can't offer any specific info. However. Oak is a ring porous wood, meaning that you can suck or blow air the length of any quarter-sawn length of it, and hence diagonally through any other portion. This is exactly what you don't want in a flute. My advice is to RUN from this offering. You will earn back the price of a used (or new) entry-level flute from a known maker long before you make this purchase pay off.

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:16 am 

Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
Pine is also a dreadful wood for flutes. Looking at the instruments on the ebay site, they do look pretty dire. The holes look too small to me, and not necessarily accurately spaced. I tried going to Philip Grimmit's Youtube channel, where he has two postings (there's no image, so I wouldn't call them 'videos'). This is the man playing his own instruments. I take it that he would have chosen a good one, and that he is probably the best at playing his own instruments. He does make heavy weather of it. They sound terribly difficult to play, and not a nice sound at all.

I think, if you're interested in learning flute, you should do what s1m0n suggests and get a flute from a decent maker. Struggling with an instrument that can't be made to play well will just put you off. Flute is hard enough as it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:05 am 

I am going to try out his oak flute and give a review, maybe it wont be too bad :D

I am not sure if I should make another thread for this or put this here but, I have been
for the last few years looking for a good reputation brand of flute that is under $500,
I wont be buying one now necessarily but I would like to have advice anyway.

What is the difference between a Musique Morneaux maple flute for $350: http://musiquemorneaux.com/flutes/

and a Casey Burns folk flute for $450?: http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com/ff.php

And if one of these is better, how much better is it than a polymer Dixon, 3 piece flute for $219.95?

If I should make a new thread I apologize.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:22 am 

Quote:
I am going to try out his oak flute and give a review, maybe it wont be too bad :D

Oak is, again, not a wood associated with wind instruments so really., why bother with these things if you have, apparently, no budget to spend? I know, mistakes are there to learn from but why spend money on something cheap that is most likely a waste of money? Save up a bit for a decent instrument, it's the sensible thing to do. And you'll be abl;e to re-sell a decent instrument without too much of a loss, if any, while the cheap stuff will be forever with you to remind you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:25 am 

Also if I poured something like tung oil into the bore of the oak wood flute, would it make it less porous?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 am 

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Oak is, again, not a wood associated with wind instruments so really., why bother with these things if you have, apparently, no budget to spend? I know, mistakes are there to learn from but why spend money on something cheap that is most likely a waste of money? Save up a bit for a decent instrument, it's the sensible thing to do. And you'll be abl;e to re-sell a decent instrument without too much of a loss, if any, while the cheap stuff will be forever with you to remind you.

Funds are tight yes, I have even experimented with making my own pvc tubing flutes. And I will save up for a better instrument, I just wanted to try this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:03 am 

musicaddict99 wrote:

I am not sure if I should make another thread for this or put this here but, I have been
for the last few years looking for a good reputation brand of flute that is under $500,
I wont be buying one now necessarily but I would like to have advice anyway.

What is the difference between a Musique Morneaux maple flute for $350: http://musiquemorneaux.com/flutes/

and a Casey Burns folk flute for $450?: http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com/ff.php

And if one of these is better, how much better is it than a polymer Dixon, 3 piece flute for $219.95?

If I should make a new thread I apologize.

You'll get a better flute, and better quality wood choice, from Casey Burns, and his considerable years of experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:11 am 

And if price is the main criterion, you might consider Walt Sweet's Shannon delrin flute at ~$275. Many here have had positive comments on it.

You'll be amazed with what a legitimate instrument does to shorten your learning curve....

Best wishes.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:16 am 

Steve Bliven wrote:
And if price is the main criterion, you might consider Walt Sweet's Shannon delrin flute at ~$275. Many here have had positive comments on it.

You'll be amazed with what a legitimate instrument does to shorten your learning curve....

Best wishes.

Steve

Thanks I hadn't seen that flute before.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:20 am 

If you spend some time on this board, you'll likely find someone with a used Casey Burns, or Sweetheart (Walt Sweet) flute in the $2-300 range. Try posting a WTB (wanted to buy) ad on the used instruments forum to see if there's anyone willing to part with a starter flute at a price you can afford. You won't find anyone here who'll tell you that the ebay flutes you're thinking of are a good idea. We did warn you.

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 am 

I would like to give a full throated recommendation for a Copley and Boegly Flute. I just purchased a delrin one with no rings new for 360 so that I could have a travel flute. It is quite uncomfortably close to as good as my Olwell given how little I paid for it and how much I paid for the Olwell. If you like a BIG flute sound find one of these.

I have also owned a Burns in the past and it is quite good as well. If you like a little bit smaller sweeter sounding instrument, the Burns is great. It's still got a big sound though so don't think it is quiet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:06 am 

The flute arrived quickly, and here is my review:https://youtu.be/Bf9OOo1KcuQ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:27 pm 

Are these flutes two pieces routed out and then glued together NAF style?
I don't hold much hope for them not splitting down the middle if they get played much considering the wood type used.

V

'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
- Philibert Jambe der Fer (1556)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:53 pm 

dubrosa22 wrote:
Are these flutes two pieces routed out and then glued together NAF style?
I don't hold much hope for them not splitting down the middle if they get played much considering the wood type used.

V

It's a one piece flute, I think it says two piece on ebay, but that is incorrect.