It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Flute Case Option
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:37 am 

I was introduced to this case by Martin Doyle who uses it as his basic case. Holds those long-bodied Pratten flutes as well as most other flutes in a sturdy plastic case. Additionally holds three whistles in separate areas. Available through McNeela Music Instruments in Dublin.

I have no connection to the company, just found it to work where the plastic pistol case didn't (and caused a bit less of a stir when traveling by air).

Best wishes.

Steve

Post subject: Re: Flute Case Option
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:00 am 

I absolutely love the idea of this case, but I need one with about three times the space.

My normal whistle kit (high to low) is a couple of high Ds, a C, a B, a Bb/A, an A, a G, an F/E, and an Eb/D. The solution I've been toying with this week is taking a briefcase, lining the bottom with 2in thick foam to hold whistles, then building a tray with more 2in thick foam to sit on top of that. Put all the more common whistles in the tray so in normal circumstances you don't need to lift it out.

Edited to add: Ah, yes, this is the flute forum. Too bad I'm still so whistle-y.

Last edited by colomon on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:26 am 

I own that case. It came with my Sam Murray flute. It is a good case, light and durable. The quality is quite high and the protection which offer to the flute is great.

The only problem that I got with it is that the case is quite long, so it dosn't fit on a medium bagpack. But not everybody will have that problem.

Best,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:20 pm 

I'm trying to think if this would accomodate a 5-piece Rudall-style with keys. Just stick the middle sections in side by side maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:37 pm 

this looks possible:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bucket-Boss-Wre ... 1861854260

b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:11 pm 

Hey Colomon,
I completely get owning whistles in all those different keys; but I'm curious what kind of a session or music do you play to need to carry all those everywhere. If you have a C and D that covers pretty much everything played in a session. I have a band and the singers sometimes need to sing in weird (for simple system instruments) keys and so I do need a couple extras (A and Bb).
Clark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:28 am 

That Macneelamusic case looks like an excellent wooden flute case. Including a whistle compartment is so obvious. Why wasn't it created before now!

I recently made my own case by adapting an Amazon / Ammoon $12 styrofoam / nylon C foot silver flute case. Strong, lightweight, and compact for travel for a Sweetheart keyless flute: I had to open up the case and trim the styrofoam to fit the head joint. I can fit a D whistle, C whistle, cork grease, and cleaning rod in the outside pocket, but they are not protected.

More on my amazon review, including some photos:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SV ... merReviews