WD Sweet Shannon

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
waltsweet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

WD Sweet Shannon

Post by waltsweet »

Just wanted to drop a line to say that I am still here, and the SHANNON is alive and well:
http://wdsweetflutes.com/shannon.php
It's black delrin. I've heard there's been some trouble reaching my site, so my direct e'mail is
waltsweet@hotmail.com
The BLACK PEARL pennywhistle in HiD is sold out. Same case for the UMBRA. Thanks for your patronage.
These models are still alive and well: SHANNON, ONYX and STEALTH.
I have all kinds of ideas about a keyed flute, a HiD pennywhistle with an improved windway, a HiD fife, and of course DULCINEA, my Boehmflute in F above C. Stay tuned, and I will do likewise.

There have been some changes over at Sweetheart Flute Co.. Ralph and I are working out the details of our 50/50 co-ownership of the LLC.

Walt

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated." -SLC
waltsweet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: WD Sweet Shannon

Post by waltsweet »

Bruce, here are some answers for you:

The biggest hole on the SHANNON is the F# (hole #5 for right middle). The diameter is 0.35" = 8.9mm . That's bigger than on some other flutes, and it gives a truer pitch. I think my holes in general are bigger than those on a Rudall, but not as big as Pratten. If you want to place SHANNON in the Rudall/Pratten spectrum, you'd probably have to ask the folks out there who have all three for comparison.

I have worked long and hard for true pitch, tonal flexibility, and control of dynamics (loudness). It is often said that the Pratten types make more sound, but some of that sound is breathy, and the flute takes more wind (much of the time). When played lightly or conservatively, the total sound can contain less "tone" and more "other". By contrast, the Rudall type is sweeter, giving the player greater control of the colorature. It will take less wind overall; it may plateau at a level of loudness below that of the Pratten.

I say that my flute has true dynamic range: when played lightly, the tone is sweet and low on noise: a quality sound. Loudness is returned in proportion to the intensity of blowing; the upper limit may reach a point between Rudall and Pratten. I don't think the noise content increases as much on SHANNON.

The right ring finger (hole #6, emitting E) is not shifted right, as we've seen on some of the low whistles. For the right hand, the hole spacing is about the same as on other classic makes (2.70", 69mm) with the F# hole in the middle.

Walt