FS Martin Doyle Blackwood flute, tuning slide and case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

FS Martin Doyle Blackwood flute, tuning slide and case

Post by sponge »

Howdy everyone,

I can't remember my last login, it's probably a few years, maybe a bit longer, so I apologise for the long gap, I can't remember but I think I was seduced by a few other musical avenues, anyway I have a Doyle keyless African blackwood flute this one has the tuning slide and case, embouchure is perfect, as are all the tone holes, slide moves nicely, few tiny marks nothing that can be photographed easily, and nothing that detracts from it's beauty, there is a very fine line on the silver tuning slide which I think is the previous owners mark for his head/tuning slide position, again it's a smooth line perfectly straight, and looks intentional, so it's not a scratch, it can' be seen if you play with the tuning slide out to that mark, or if you close the slide. and it plays like a treat, nice honking low D, silver rings, cork lining is also perfect, case is Martins standard case, with the heavy duty velcro seal, at present I can't get pics up until tomorrow, but there are pictures on Martins website it's the traditional flute plus tuning slide, which is priced at 1010 euros, which in pounds is £888 or $1150,

I have had it for a short while, but the previous own reckons it's around 3 years old, now the issue with CITES makes a USA sale difficult, or from the very speedy reading of the subject, it appears a right royal pain in the a#~e, i'm looking for around £535

so EU or UK sale would be best, unless I have got the whole Cites thing wrong, I'm based in Sussex, UK

cheers sponge
jim stone

Re: FS Martin Doyle Blackwood flute, tuning slide and case

Post by jim stone »

Hiya Sponge!
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

Hi Jim, good to see your still blowing the wood :)

Sponge
sponge

Post by sponge »

Thinking this would fly off the shelf so to speak at £535, making assumptions and all that, well not a single sniff, so based on the market being rubbish at present, again an assumption..... I have decided to withdraw the flute, I have given it a proper playing this afternoon, and I'm amazed I put it down all those
months ago, so anyone waiting for pics of this beauty, sorry.

and I suppose the CITES Rosewood is an issue, with all things Rosewood and as that restriction covers a hell of a lot of species lumped together..

cheers sponge
jamiefyffe
Tell us something.: Hi...I'm getting into Irish Flute and whistle and would like to know more through your forum. Hope I can become a member :-)

Post by jamiefyffe »

Hi Sponge,

I'm in the UK and would be interested in photos of the flute if you have a change of heart...

Best,

Jamie