Flute question

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MarkusT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute question

Post by MarkusT »

Hi!

Does anyone know what flute this is? There's no stamp on it.
I'm sorry for speaking Swedish in the video, but at least it is possible to the see the flute. It's not mine and I don't have it any longer. If I had, I would take some decent pictures instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzW5t93 ... e=youtu.be

All the best/Markus
Viking of Kiev
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: The nick is outdated, I'd been living in Kiev for 13 years but now I am located in St.Petersburg, Russia.

Re: Flute question

Post by Viking of Kiev »

Isn't it a common German "nach Mayer" flute? The keys look standard for this type of flutes as well as the design.
psychodonald
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Hi Markus. I agree with Viking of Kiev, it certainly looks like a German Flute, as best I can tell from the video. I have one that looks similar; however, it has additional keys. The flute I own was most likely manufactured in the early 1920's, made of black wood and was sold by a flute seller in Norway. Mine is definitely a German flute of the "nach Mayer" style/design; however, not made by Mayer. My best guess is that my flute was made in Germany and then shipped to the flute seller in Norway, where he added his stamp. I purchased the flute as I have an interest in the evolution of flute design.
MarkusT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MarkusT »

Thank you for your comments. What got me wondering was the feeling that I got when I played the flute. It had more of a dynamic range than I have previous experienced in the German flutes. I didn't measure it, but I had the feeling that the bore was wider and holes were larger. But I am sure you are right. I assume that there are good ones and not so good ones out there ;-)
Thanks again!