Looking for reasonably priced keyed flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
brassnebony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Looking for reasonably priced keyed flute

Post by brassnebony »

Looking for a 6 or 8 key flute.

Rudall and Rose style with smallish holes and main body of two pieces.
Something easy to play.

Whats out there.
Considering the antique route as my budget doesn't go as far as what most makers are charging for keyed flutes these days, I have one lead which I am awaiting more info on.
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Re: Looking for reasonably priced keyed flute

Post by Akiba »

brassnebony

Post by brassnebony »

Thanks for the tip, his name did cross my mind.
Does anyone know if his instruments are aimed towards irish music.

Does anyone know of any clips, I've seen a few Breton clips.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

mcGoldrick first cd (morning rory) was recorded using a Lehart...
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

I can think of four or five of my Irish-music-playing friends who currently play or have owned Lehart flutes. Most flutes are not aimed toward one type of traditional music over another (e.g., a flute that works well for Breton music will work well for Irish music and vice versa).
MKE_Chris

Post by MKE_Chris »

So far as keyed flutes go, Dave Copley's 6-key flutes are very reasonably priced and his turn-around times are quite quick compared to a lot of other makers. For pretty much all makers, the difference between a 6-key and an 8-key flute is going to be several hundred dollars (~2300 vs 3000 for Dave's). All that for two extra keys that you'll likely not use too often. You can have the blocks left on should you wish to add them later; that's how mine is set up, but I've not yet had a desire to get them made.
Yogifluter

Post by Yogifluter »

Try Eric Juilleret: http://www.ericjuilleret.com/. He makes good flutes and they're very reasonably priced.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Don't forget the Irish Flute Store. A nice 4-key Copeland on this page plus others .

http://www.irishflutestore.com/irish-flutes?p=2
brassnebony

Post by brassnebony »

Thanks Guys
Some good recommendations.
I have never heard of Eric Jiilleret but his flutes look nice and seem very reasonable.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And there is M & E flutes. I've never played one of their keyed instruments but the polymer, keyless ones are solid, basic flutes that have served many folks well. And the prices are reasonable for a keyed instrument.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
brassnebony

Post by brassnebony »

I actually have an M+E which is doing a nice job while I find a keyed flute.
vermichou

Post by vermichou »

Eric's flutes are fantastic.

When I saw him last year, he had a year and a half waiting time. I heard last weekend he was now up to 5 years...
Herbert Labrador
Tell us something.: I forgot my password even by daily visit to ch&fi I do not post that often. I got an old Hawes- flute from that forum repaired by a member and will try to send the former ownwer some new photos, so I ought to be logged in, isn't it.

Post by Herbert Labrador »

vermichou wrote:Eric's flutes are fantastic.

When I saw him last year, he had a year and a half waiting time. I heard last weekend he was now up to 5 years...
Eric's flutes are really great, I own a 8 key modell Juilleret and it plays perfect (as far I can do), from g''' down to low C'. An extra is off-line g-hole , absolutely the right thing.
But by the way, Vermichou has a Geert Lejeune flute to sell, isn't it? A nice player too. Good flute for keyed-beginners. Pratten-style body but better in tune as the antique English R&R copies.
maestrosid

Post by maestrosid »

I have a Glenn Watson without keys which is quite lovely. His keyed prices went up a while back, but are still reasonable. I also am waiting on a Solen Lesouef keyed flute, and her prices are lower than they should be. I have an Eb mopane flute from her which is incredible. Wait time about a year, but she was early with the Eb flute. My main flute is a Doyle that Maurice Reviol upgraded with six keys. It's loud with a rich tone, and a pleasure to play. I can highly revommend both Martin Doyle and Maurice, whom he suggested.

Many of the big name makers have a very long wait time. Olwell's was 10 years, last I heard. Watch the used listings if you are in a hurry.
Beleragor
Tell us something.: Playing the flute since 2014 and the classical piano for almost all my life. I am already living in Belfast and playing in two sessions per week.

Post by Beleragor »

I bought a 6keys Gilles Lehart flute a couple of months ago. I had previously a Sam Murray flute and I was quite worried because I did not know if the Lehart flute had worse quality than my Murray.

The result was excelent. The flute has a reallyreasonably price. Gilles provides a very good "buying experience". He answer every email within one day solving every question you could have. The waiting time for my flute was less than 3 months.

And the most important thing, the quality. Lehart's flutes has a very sweet sound, it is not a heavy flute and it can play high notes (3th octave) really easy. It has a powerful low D and in general, it can play loud.

The look of the flute is different with the Copper rings and the postmounted keys, which, I have to say, are really soft and easy to play.

I was quite surprise to get such a good flute per the prize that I paid. Hope this can be helpful.