considering a sale...of a holy grail

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

considering a sale...of a holy grail

Post by pixyy »

So I recently sold two of my Olwell Bamboo flutes (F and Eb). They are great flutes. I just did not get to play them that much over recent years.
That has been the way with many of my frantically acquired high-end whistles and some flutes. They have given me great joy, both in playing and the experience of the craftsmanship.
These days I grab a cheap whistle and mostly my Baubet delrin flute, which hangs, assembled, on a flute rack over my desk.

The other flute I still own is something of a rare beast: an Olwell Bamboo Low C.
It's a beauty.
Truth is, I don't play it that much either, and may in the end prefer playing conical flutes.

These don't come up for sale much and I'm hesitant putting it up on Ebay as a new seller.
In your best, professional-flute-enthusiast, opinion; what would a flute like this sell for (hypothetically speaking)??

Imageimage by Rune Meijer, on Flickr
Belfastflute

Re: considering a sale...of a holy grail

Post by Belfastflute »

Hi Pixy,

im in the market for a C flute. Never played a bamboo unit before. Check ur PM if you woukd like to discuss a price.

kind regards
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

When you mentioned a "holy grail" flute I thought it was going to be an original c1830 Rudall & Rose or an original c1850 Pratten.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

pancelticpiper wrote:When you mentioned a "holy grail" flute I thought it was going to be an original c1830 Rudall & Rose or an original c1850 Pratten.
Fair enough, fair enough...
A grail for some, just another fancy chalice for others :)