CP: Guilloché - now a regular feature of my flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

CP: Guilloché - now a regular feature of my flutes

Post by Casey Burns »

My flutes with rings and slides now feature Engine Turned Rings also known as Guilloché as a regular feature found on the largest band at the base of the Head Joint. This type of work is normally done with a Rose Engine. I am engraving these with an attachment on my Myford lathe that oscillates the cutting tool as the work rotates, as opposed to the work oscillating. I will eventually write up how this is done. This little bit of engraving is pretty on the flutes and I've long wanted to include it. Am still learning much about the process, experimenting with different rosette shape, iincluding designing my own and making them with the help of Cali Hackmann and her talents, as well as mentoring from David Lindow and Brittany Nicole Cox. I am enjoying this new exploration!

Below are examples of rings I have engraved as well as three flutes showing what these rings look like on the wood. The top 3 middle rings I just engraved last night, testing a new rosette.

Casey

Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: CP: Guilloché - now a regular feature of my flutes

Post by Casey Burns »

This engraving is hard to photograph well!!!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Casey Burns wrote:This engraving is hard to photograph well!!!
Looks good anyway, Casey. :thumbsup:
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Casey Burns wrote:This engraving is hard to photograph well!!!
They do look nice.

Try photographing in all natural light, shaded sunlight, where you won't get the harsh highlights from source artificial lights.
AuLoS303
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

They look great!
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog