This year's designer colours.....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AaronFW
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: This year's designer colours.....

Post by AaronFW »

(Using the Quote box will just make a much longer post than really necessary, so I am opting not to use it in this post.)

Terry, thanks for the estimates regarding materials you've been using. Also thanks for the explanation on Rockstro. I had known a little about the issues, but not much. So your explanation was helpful.

Geoffrey, thanks for reporting SEM's advice regarding waxes. Any idea about the safety for players to use something like Menzerna Super Finish 3500? I tried finding a Safety Data Sheet for it without much luck.
What is your understanding of Kai Koopman's recommendation, is it that the short-term care would be using soap and water, but using the Menzerna Super Finish on occasion to restore the finish?
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

AaronFW wrote:Geoffrey, thanks for reporting SEM's advice regarding waxes. Any idea about the safety for players to use something like Menzerna Super Finish 3500? I tried finding a Safety Data Sheet for it without much luck.What is your understanding of Kai Koopman's recommendation, is it that the short-term care would be using soap and water, but using the Menzerna Super Finish on occasion to restore the finish?
These are excellent questions that I've been wondering about myself! My impression is that the player can use mild soap and water and a very soft cloth to keep it clean (prevent build-up of dead skin and skin oils) and then to polish it with the Super Finish if it begins to change color or show signs of dullness. I'm going to order some of the Super Finish and give it a try. I think this is important info for anyone who gets one of my headjoints and I'd like to be able to give a clear answer on the subject of care and maintenance. I don't know anything about the safety of the Super Finish but I wondered precisely the same thing. My guess is that if you use it to polish the ebonite, you can clean it afterward with a bit of soapy water if needed. But I'm going to look into this for sure.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

AaronFW wrote:(Using the Quote box will just make a much longer post than really necessary, so I am opting not to use it in this post.)
But you can quote selectively...
AaronFW wrote:Quote
(On which note I wasn't specifically thinking of you here!)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Peter Duggan wrote:
AaronFW wrote:(Using the Quote box will just make a much longer post than really necessary, so I am opting not to use it in this post.)
But you can quote selectively...
True, but it was going to take a hideous amount of time to decide on how to truncate the posts appropriately; so I figured those who had been reading the thread would understand well enough what I had been referring to.