It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:56 am 

Hi folks. Been a long time since I've been here (Facebook stole me), but I'm in a pickle.
I'm trying to find a source for the tune "The Belfast March" which I know from Harry Bradley's "Bad Turns & Horseshoe Bends" record, track 5. The 2nd of the tunes in this set which he calls "The Lilted March" is obviously "The Rose Tree", but for the life of me I can't find any other reference to the first tune other than this recording.

Maybe Mr. Bradley himself will chime in. Hope so. :D
Thanks, all, and Peace :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:51 pm 

You might see if it continues similarity past the first part to the march "Money in Both Pockets (But Not Mine)". See John Creaven. The Story So Far, track 4, 1st tune

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:17 pm 

kkrell wrote:
You might see if it continues similarity past the first part to the march "Money in Both Pockets (But Not Mine)". See John Creaven. The Story So Far, track 4, 1st tune

I found this reference with the same info, but I don't have access to the whole tune:
https://www.irishtune.info/tune/7068/

thesession is no help either, as all tunes with that name do not match either.
Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:55 pm 

Hi,
I have the story behind it, even if not the complete reference:
20 years ago Brendan O' Hare played that tune in a concert and
he told that it came from an orangist band that use to perform through the streets of Belfast.
protestant music is not usually perrformed by the irish but He explained that
it was slower march but they learnt it at a different speed as the orange band marching through the catholic area was playing (and marching) much much faster C : and there is where (and how fast) he got it from!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:01 pm 

Kevin's right. It's a Lambeg drum tune (the fifes are just playing second fiddle - like a melody instrument and a bodhrán in a session at a Fleadh). A quick Google search found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMrVpks8sk&t=15s. That's the 'native' speed for these tunes.

You'll not hear them much played on fifes for drums in Belfast as marching around cities and annoying people is hard with a Lambeg drum strapped round your neck. The playing of fifing tunes for Lambeg drums is more a country activity and, as far as I can see, was never designed to annoy anyone apart from people who don't like loud banging, however skillfully it is administered to their eardrums.

If my version isn't the same as Harry or Brendan's version then maybe we have three correct versions. How lucky is that.

Even though I'm from Belfast I now live in Luxembourg so I probably don't know anything about the subject anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:06 pm 

michael c wrote:
Kevin's right. It's a Lambeg drum tune (the fifes are just playing second fiddle - like a melody instrument and a bodhrán in a session at a Fleadh). A quick Google search found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMrVpks8sk&t=15s. That's the 'native' speed for these tunes.

You'll not hear them much played on fifes for drums in Belfast as marching around cities and annoying people is hard with a Lambeg drum strapped round your neck. The playing of fifing tunes for Lambeg drums is more a country activity and, as far as I can see, was never designed to annoy anyone apart from people who don't like loud banging, however skillfully it is administered to their eardrums.

If my version isn't the same as Harry or Brendan's version then maybe we have three correct versions. How lucky is that.

Even though I'm from Belfast I now live in Luxembourg so I probably don't know anything about the subject anyway.

That's the Tune, for sure! Many thanks!! :D :D

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:03 pm 

michael c wrote:
...as marching around cities and annoying people is hard with a Lambeg drum strapped round your neck.
If only that one can't run very fast.