Tuning Slide Sticking

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Tuning Slide Sticking

Post by Akiba »

Hi All,

My tuning slide is sticking a bit. I've seen it written to use cork grease to loosen it and keep it sliding smoothly. Is this correct? What do you all do?

Thanks!
Mr.Gumby

Re: Tuning Slide Sticking

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A mix of vaseline and beeswax is probably the 'traditional' way.
My brain hurts

bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Even just vaseline (without the beeswax) would do; that's what I use.

This is a metal-to-metal connection; I've seen advice to avoid using vaseline where it will contact wood, but in this case it's not an issue. I rub a very tiny amount, just a speck, really, of vaseline on the slide and then pull the slide in and push it out a few times, turning it so it's well coated.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Thanks, gents. Did the trick!
MKE_Chris

Post by MKE_Chris »

I just use off-the-shelf slide grease from the local music shop. Not sure what it's made of, but I imagine it's some formulation of the above-mentioned ingredients and I've never had an issue with it.

I add just a tiny bit every time I take the flute apart to clean and oil it, which should be about every month (but in reality is about once every eternity).