old Kohlert flute questions

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kidonthemountain
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Multi-instrumentalist based in New England. Want to see what's happening out there in the trad world.

old Kohlert flute questions

Post by kidonthemountain »

I've just made my first purchase of an antique flute -- Kohlert Sons low-pitch D, blackwood, 10 keys, approx. 80-90 years old. In great shape according to the seller, but I'll know more when I have it in my hands next week. Couple questions for the flute restorers among us:

1) Given that it's almost certainly pitched at A435, are there any adjustments that could bring it up to 440? (New barrel, new head, new cork)

2) I'm assuming it hasn't been played in a long time. Once I get it, what's the best TLC so it doesn't crack? Just treat it like any new flute, i.e. play it in gradually? Should I oil it right away?

(While it looks gorgeous in the photos, I have zero expectations that it will outplay my Grinter. But at $100, how could I say no?!)
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: old Kohlert flute questions

Post by jemtheflute »

Brief answer to the pitch Q - no. The scale is longer - that is the way the tone-holes are spaced/sized and tuned along the bore. It doesn't matter what you do at the head end, even if you can tune a chosen note to A440, the notes either side of it within each octave will be progressively further away from it. People have tried to retune LP instruments throughout by shortening the joints and enlarging holes or even plugging and repositioning holes, but it is never truly satisfactory or worth the effort. Can of worms. Save your money and time. Better to appreciate the flute (Kohlert made good quality instruments) for what it is.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads