R&R Patent Head Maintenance Page

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

R&R Patent Head Maintenance Page

Post by Terry McGee »

Hi Rudall and Rose Patent Head Owners....

(Heh heh, the very definition of a small audience, eh?)

Many years ago, I started putting together a page on maintaining these odd devices. Finally got to a publication stage, so see:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Rudall_Rose ... enance.htm

You might have come to strikingly different conclusions, so feel free to quibble!

Terry
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: R&R Patent Head Maintenance Page

Post by s1m0n »

Terry, do you have a (wild-ass) guess on the number of extant patent heads there might yet be?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

No, s1m0n, no real idea.

But we can perhaps get a feel for it by looking at the number of times the term "Patent Head" comes up in Thomas Johnson's ("Steampacket") R,R&C Register at:

http://steampacket.ownit.nu/Rudall%20Ro ... ister.html

Ctrl-F for "Patent Head" gives us 58 hits, but a quick look shows that some of these are "not Patent Head", or "possibly Patent Head" or uses the term several times, or includes some other use of the term. So one would have to interrogate them all carefully.

Looking at my own database, I got 11 hits for "Yes", 24 for "No" and 28 for unspecified, which probably equates to "No".
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Nice one, Terry. :thumbsup:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

a very simple query, Terry....from my own catalogue work and research (nope....i've not gone anywhere)

there are (known extant) 107 Rudall flutes (simple systems) with Patent Heads......some have more than one headpiece and were made with a regular and patent head.

Hope that helps the curious minded.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

RudallRose wrote:a very simple query, Terry....from my own catalogue work and research (nope....i've not gone anywhere)

there are (known extant) 107 Rudall flutes (simple systems) with Patent Heads......some have more than one headpiece and were made with a regular and patent head.

Hope that helps the curious minded.
107 is still a small number. And I have 2 of them. :D