Aspiring flute maker.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Damian Thompson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute maker and have been following the forum on and off for a very long time! I also enjoy playing the flute & whistle at local sessions in the West of Ireland.

Aspiring flute maker.

Post by Damian Thompson »

Hi all, i'm an aspiring flute maker from the UK. I'm pleased to now be offering flutes in Delrin and select hardwoods for sale.I don't have a website yet but invite people to view my flute facebook page, more details & pictures/prices etc here - https://www.facebook.com/thompsonflutes/ Many thanks, Damian
hpinson

Re: Aspiring flute maker.

Post by hpinson »

One thing that really helps introduce flutes by new makers, is recordings of the instrument by strong players. Do you have any recordings? Your flutes look really nice! Good luck!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Unfortunately, the link is not public, and one must have and be signed into a Facebook account to view.
Damian Thompson
Tell us something.: I am a flute maker and have been following the forum on and off for a very long time! I also enjoy playing the flute & whistle at local sessions in the West of Ireland.

Thanks for the feedback, my apologies to anyone unable to view.I'm hoping to have a basic website up and running later today, I agree sound samples/videos are important too.I will post a new link up as soon as this has been done.
Last edited by Damian Thompson on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Hpinson, there's a short clip under "videos" of the flutes being played. A lot of background noise, but they sound good!
Damian Thompson

Here's a brand new website, more to be added, thanks!
https://www.thompsonflutes.com/
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

Hi Bigsciota - I did see that video. Respectfully, it is not of a quality that can be used to judge really the flute. I would not buy based on that video. I can give an example of what would be convincing - Rob Forbes managed to get David Migoya and Kevin Crawford to demo his delrin flute (links on this page http://forbesflutes.com/ ), and those videos convinced at least me to purchase. Both players really did justice to the instrument, and the video provides a great way to judge sound, which in my mind looks are secondary to.

Just a suggestion - find a top-flight player to demo, and do a quality recording using a good microphone. No added post processing please. If your flutes are good, it will really help sell them.
Damian Thompson

Yes hpinson, thanks, you are absolutely right, it is the sound that matters most. There is actually a couple of videos on the facebook page, if one scrolls down the posts far enough (one of them is actually me playing in a session in Birmingham) but neither is great in regards to sound quality. I am going to make it a priority to upload some better quality sound/video recordings of the instruments being played to the website as soon as possible, I'm very new to this! Cheers.. :)
joshua7b

Post by joshua7b »

If you are looking for feedback, you might consider an instrument tour.

Here's a link to one from a couple of years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94671
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

joshua7b wrote:If you are looking for feedback, you might consider an instrument tour.

As great as the tours have been, they now may be confounded by the recent changes to the CITES provision regarding international shipments of blackwood and other rosewood species. Bottom line, there might be a cost for permits to ship across borders. Although it might be interesting to hear the conversation between the shipper and customs officers—"So you're not selling the instrument, just sending it out for free for people to try out and then they will send it back to you once they've used it for a bit? Let me check my regulations and get back to you."

Check Casey Burns excellent thread on the CITES provisions in action at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104482

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Steve Bliven wrote:
joshua7b wrote:If you are looking for feedback, you might consider an instrument tour.

As great as the tours have been, they now may be confounded by the recent changes to the CITES provision regarding international shipments of blackwood and other rosewood species. Bottom line, there might be a cost for permits to ship across borders. Although it might be interesting to hear the conversation between the shipper and customs officers—"So you're not selling the instrument, just sending it out for free for people to try out and then they will send it back to you once they've used it for a bit? Let me check my regulations and get back to you."

Check Casey Burns excellent thread on the CITES provisions in action at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104482

Best wishes.

Steve
Or just tour a Delrin flute and skip all the paperwork! Probably no appreciable difference between the Delrin and blackwood instruments.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Geoffrey Ellis wrote:Or just tour a Delrin flute and skip all the paperwork! Probably no appreciable difference between the Delrin and blackwood instruments.
Fully agree with the first statement. The second might engender some discussion. Either way, a delrin instrument should show quality of workmanship, intonation, etc....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Steve Bliven wrote:
Geoffrey Ellis wrote: The second might engender some discussion.
It's true that the "materials debate" does tend to come up from time to time :-) And I don't want to start that hare again (and I mean that sincerely). But I would say that any difference between them is likely going to be small enough not to matter for the sake of evaluating the workmanship and such, as you say. For people who prefer wood, they can safely assume that if they really like the Delrin than they will probably love the wood! Looking at the background of the maker and the photos of the instruments I'm guessing they'll be solid, regardless of material.

Sigh! CITIES is complicating things....
joshua7b

Post by joshua7b »

There's always the possibility of getting around the irritation that comes from international shipping by limiting any tours to only people within the UK.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

If there's any interest in a UK only flute tour, I'd be interested in participating!

m.d.