CP: New Pratten flute design!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Geoffrey Ellis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Re: CP: New Pratten flute design!

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

I'm actually taking orders right now and have a short waiting list at the present. The first batch should be available in the second half of May.

I'm hoping to get some recordings online before long.

They weigh about 10 oz. according to my scale, which I think is reasonably accurate.

Yes, the Delrin inserts for the embouchure hole had some neat aesthetic qualities, and it was rather nice to cut a material that was so consistent, but apart from that there was no great advantage, really. It's not as if you can remove the insert very easily if something went wrong because it was glued to the metal liner as well as the wood around it :-) I used them primarily because I was going for a "look" and wanted it to highlight the Delrin bore rings. And while it made for pretty flutes I do think that the look was a bit too contemporary. My friend Jon (aka paddler on these forums) made a flute that had this same sort of old-school look and when I saw it I thought it was so attractive that it made me want to change the look of my own flutes. His flute looked like it came straight from the early 19th century and was super handsome. I was converted :-)
Scouter
Tell us something.: I am a musician and love folk instruments. I am learning about penny whistles and Irish flutes. I play many instruments but one of my main instruments for many years has been oboe. This makes learning the whistle and flute rather easy. Now to learn about best practices for the genre.

Post by Scouter »

Maybe you could offer both. I sure liked the tiger maple with delrin rings. Nice!
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Scouter wrote:Maybe you could offer both. I sure liked the tiger maple with delrin rings. Nice!
The previous versions that had the classic design (tuning slide, barrel, foot joint, etc.) were more involved to manufacture and therefore more costly. Additionally I've been having to pick my battles lately and limit different flute designs that I offer. I make many other types of flutes apart from Irish flutes and since I work solo it's easy to get scattered in too many directions :-) So I wanted to make a solid, single style for ITM that would have wider appeal. I might offer a black colored version of this same flute made from "ebonized" maple as well for another classic look. But these are probably the only options I'll have for Irish flutes. Otherwise I might go slightly mad!
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Am going to try the Acrylic Impregnation method myself. I just sent off a pair of Curly European Maple flute sets to a service that does this, wood rounded and pilot bored. I am eager to see what this does in terms of adding mass to this wood. The maple is highly figured and these should make for a pretty pair of instruments. Am hoping that the other qualities such as reaming etc. remain similar to working wood rather than Delrin. The descriptions here of Delrin suddenly seizing the tools was enough for me to remember how it does that and stay away from it. This will be an interesting experiment!

Casey
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Casey Burns wrote:Am going to try the Acrylic Impregnation method myself. I just sent off a pair of Curly European Maple flute sets to a service that does this, wood rounded and pilot bored. I am eager to see what this does in terms of adding mass to this wood. The maple is highly figured and these should make for a pretty pair of instruments. Am hoping that the other qualities such as reaming etc. remain similar to working wood rather than Delrin. The descriptions here of Delrin suddenly seizing the tools was enough for me to remember how it does that and stay away from it. This will be an interesting experiment!

Casey
You'll get mass alright! Also, commercial wood stabilizing is likely to actually achieve a higher percentage of impregnation, at least based on what I've read. It depends upon their set up, but some of them combine vacuum infusion alternating with pressure and claim this gets more resin in. I'm a trifle skeptical about the pressure aspect because I've done it. I have a vacuum chamber and a pretty big pressure chamber and I did a two part process (in theory similar to that of the commercial stabilizing outfits). My experience was that any extra absorption as a result of pressure was tiny and not worth the huge trouble and mess that was involved. It seemed that woods that are going to drink up the resin will do so under vacuum. One of the tests happens when you move the wood from the vacuum resin bath to the pressure tank. My pieces of maple were already so saturated that they sank! Some other pieces of cherry and walnut bobbed up like corks and had to be held down with weights. After the pressure treatment, the maple was still submerged, but when I took the weights off the other woods they still bobbed up like corks. So that decided me. However, I won't presume that my set up was the same as a commercial one. I was using about 65 psi for about 12 hours. They might use more pressure and longer times.

I think that the resin infused woods ream better. Meaning better than regular wood. And the resin also makes the wood behave like a more oily wood when it comes to cutting it. Cuts smoother, less prone to tear out, etc.

Wear dust protection!!! I'm sure you already do, but if wood dust is bad I'm guessing wood dust saturated with cured resin is worse :-)
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

All looks very promising. Not sure what you are using for your stabilizing process, but I have heard good reports regarding home impregnation using "Cactus Juice Resin". You can review it here: https://www.turntex.com/
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Latticino wrote:All looks very promising. Not sure what you are using for your stabilizing process, but I have heard good reports regarding home impregnation using "Cactus Juice Resin". You can review it here: https://www.turntex.com/
Cactus Juice is actually what I am using. Works really, really well.
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

I have mentioned it in an older thread, but for those of you who have not seen it I wrote a blog about doing vacuum resin infusion. http://ellisflutes.com/blog/vacuum-resi ... ion-part-1

There is one thing that I wrote in the blog that is technically true but in practice I would not attempt again. I said that soft woods like Curly Redwood could be used to make an Irish flute. This is true because the density and workability is enhanced by the resin, but it does very little to strengthen what is actually a very brittle wood. A resin infused piece of hard maple is tough as nails. If you drop a resin infused curly redwood flute the chances are excellent that it will simply break in half! Not good.
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

I'm very excited to share that these flutes are now being featured at the Irish Flute Store! In fact, the entire Irish Flute Store just got a complete makeover and is better than ever. Really clean and easy to navigate.

Blayne did a really nice video review of my new flute design which you can see here: https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... rish-flute

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Geoffrey Ellis wrote:In fact, the entire Irish Flute Store just got a complete makeover and is better than ever. Really clean and easy to navigate.
Disagree. Text is grey, so harder to read. RSS feed is gone, so no alert to new items unless they send an email.
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

kkrell wrote:
Geoffrey Ellis wrote:In fact, the entire Irish Flute Store just got a complete makeover and is better than ever. Really clean and easy to navigate.
Disagree. Text is grey, so harder to read. RSS feed is gone, so no alert to new items unless they send an email.
In fairness to Blayne, I can't say whether or not the remodel is totally complete, especially as regards the RSS feed (in fact, I hadn't realized that he had one in the first place). It only just went public in this form and I would not be surprised to find that he still intends to tinker (speaking as someone with an evolving website, this happens often). Personally I didn't notice that the text was grey. I like the clean navigation a lot because I've had to work over the years to implement that on my own site (and I still have not succeeded to my satisfaction). A few years back I had a really slick looking site but it was like going into a maze...
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Feed for all products: www.irishflutestore.com/collections/all.atom

You can also get the collection specific feeds by appending .atom to the url in question. Such as:

https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... usly-Owned

The feed address would be:

https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... Owned.atom

Product description text darkened.

Hope that helps!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Thanks, Blayne. The text is better, now. If I use Firefox Reader View, it's even printable (although without the pictures). I'll give the feed a try. Yep, all fixed, back the way I like it. Now all you're missing is giving away Wooden Flute Obsession CDs with every flute purchase.
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Hahahah. Now THAT would be cool! ;)
kkrell wrote:Thanks, Blayne. The text is better, now. If I use Firefox Reader View, it's even printable (although without the pictures). I'll give the feed a try. Yep, all fixed, back the way I like it. Now all you're missing is giving away Wooden Flute Obsession CDs with every flute purchase.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Great looking flutes! I like the idea of alternative woods.
Life is good.