Happy tunes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Scouter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a musician and love folk instruments. I am learning about penny whistles and Irish flutes. I play many instruments but one of my main instruments for many years has been oboe. This makes learning the whistle and flute rather easy. Now to learn about best practices for the genre.

Happy tunes

Post by Scouter »

I just happened across a YouTube video of Eamon Cotter playing The Stoney Steps and Corn Phiopa na Greine (The Sunshine).

They are such happy tunes they made me think of little girls with blonde ringlettes skipping through a flower garden chasing butterflies. I am quite certain Bambi and Thumper were off to the side frolicking under the willow.

Isn't it amazing how evocative music can be? I have already printed the tunes off and have started looking for other happy little tunes to add to them.
Pyper

Re: Happy tunes

Post by Pyper »

I love happy tunes too!
The Barndance Bill Malley's is a good one. :lol:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I just listened to the Eamon Cotter tunes. Great stuff. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPnabmFy_W8

Two of my favourite happy tunes are Memories of Ballymote and The Happy, as played by Conal O Grada on his album Cnoc Bui.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I play a lot on the street, so happy tunes are welcome.
Thanks for posting The Stony Steps. We play a lot of
Americana, as well as some Celtic tunes--some of the
former may as well be Irish (I mean, they seem to be
cut from the same musical cloth).

Some happy tunes, regardless of origin.

Soldiers' Joy

St. Anne's Reel

Whiskey Before Breakfast

The Girl I left behind me (Irish)

The Red-haired Boy

Balleydesmond Polka (I think the first).

Liberty

Fishing (I'm a goin fishin all of the time, Baby's Going Fishin too)
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Connaughtsman's Rambles has been recommended to me as a happy tune, 'though musically I prefer the similar Swallowtail Jig.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I particularly like an energetic rendition of Mulhaire's No. 9. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... VrY6IHR1yw

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Scouter
Tell us something.: I am a musician and love folk instruments. I am learning about penny whistles and Irish flutes. I play many instruments but one of my main instruments for many years has been oboe. This makes learning the whistle and flute rather easy. Now to learn about best practices for the genre.

Post by Scouter »

Already, I have found several of the suggestions to be happy indeed. The Connaughtman's Rambles is one of my favorites. I was unable to find The Happy on Youtube, but I will keep trying.

The other tunes have made it to the list. I love lively tunes in a major key. :D I know music affects others as it does me. In this group I am sure to be in good company.

Thank you for the suggestions.