Selling advice

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Brad Durham
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Patrick Olwell suggested Chiff & Fipple as a place to advertise the sale of my Olwell flute. Patrick raves about this site and as I want to present his flute to a informed and appreciative audience, I'm registering
myself

Selling advice

Post by Brad Durham »

Hi all,

this is my first time on the site and I need some selling advice. I have a Patrick Olwell wooden keyless flute in African Blackwood with sterling sliver fittings, Nicholson model with 2 pc center section with Northwind case (serial # 1233) that I want to sell. It's a wonderful flute, it's just I've transferred my focus to piano. I want to see the instrument go to a good home and need advice as to the best ways to present the instrument and the best platforms. Your advice will be appreciated.

Best,

Brad
Steve Bliven

Re: Selling advice

Post by Steve Bliven »

By now you've probably gotten several emails with offers or questions....

As far as marketing, the Chiff & Fipple Used Instrument Exchange Forum is a good place to find a good home for your flute. If you are not sure about a price, you could do a search on one of several Forums here; the flute forum (here), and the Sold and Old for instruments that have sold.

Given the current CITES rules on sales of blackwood, you might 1) provide the country where you are located and 2) check into the CITES rules for selling used instruments across international borders(again, use the search function above right).

Figure out how you'd like to be paid and decide whether your customer will pay for shipping and insurance or whether you will include that in the price.

Photos are good, but they must be posted on another site (e,g, PhotoBucket) and linked to here.

An Olwell should sell easily here given the nature of this Forum's participants.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Brad Durham
Tell us something.: Patrick Olwell suggested Chiff & Fipple as a place to advertise the sale of my Olwell flute. Patrick raves about this site and as I want to present his flute to a informed and appreciative audience, I'm registering
myself

Post by Brad Durham »

Steve,

All great advise. I'll dig into the Instrument Forum to see the best way for presenting the instrument and Sold & Old to establish pricing. I suspect trying to keep the sale domestic (US) would simplify the process but I'll check into international
options as well. Also, I know nothing about PhotBucket so that's on my list to do.

Again thanks for the great advise,

Brad
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

This has always been a central place to check in at for flute people, under Doc and now under new management. Might give you a sense of things.

http://www.irishflutestore.com/irish-flutes
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Brad Durham
myself

Post by Brad Durham »

Adrian,

Thanks for the great link. It helped me clarify my thinking about pricing.

Brad
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Another suggestion... You could send it to Blayne Chastain at The Irish Flute Store (www.irishflutestore.com) and sell it on consignment. You'll pay a commission of course, but he will get you a fair price and you won't have to worry about the vagaries of selling to someone you don't know.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Brad Durham
myself

Post by Brad Durham »

Pat,

Thanks for the good suggestion.

Brad
Brad Durham
myself

Post by Brad Durham »

To all those who responded, thank you. The flute is off to a loving home in Illinois.

Again thanks to all. Your advise was truly helpful.

Brad
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

That is good news Brad.

Welcome to the forum!