CITES Recap

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: CITES Recap

Post by Casey Burns »

Hi Dave,
I sent off my application for the replacement permits before the August 21st eclipse. Just got them last week when I returned from Colorado. Mine are valid through March 6th.

One thing for everyone. I was asked by another maker if I could send someone else's flute across a boundary using my permit. I pointed out that the permits are not transferrable - and that neither are the items. Thus I cannot send any one else's flutes in blackwood or rosewood out of the country and I can only send the ones that are made out of my CITES approved pile of blackwood and only manufactured by me in house. They would have to get their own permits.

Non CITES species do not apply and can be sent.

Also, I don't have to go in and get everything inspected on-site. They set up remote inspections where I send a high resolution photo or photos of the flute or flutes to be sent, and mail in the paperwork with a self addressed stamped envelope. They approve and stamp everything and mail the permits back. Saved me a whole morning in Seattle, not to mention $34 in round trip ferry costs and a few gallons of gas.

Casey
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Question - anyone have a quick web link for the CITES import permit in the UK?

Thanks!
david_h

Post by david_h »

I guess you already have these links Casey, but if not:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cites-imports-and-exports
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cites-contr ... ed-species
Roseweood gets a mention but the focus seems to be on living things.
dcopley
antispam: No

Post by dcopley »

I just received single use permits to replace the ones which had passed their expiration dates. They were ordered on Sept 20 so the process took 6 weeks.
Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
www.copleyflutes.com
dcopley
antispam: No

Post by dcopley »

Update on import permit requirements for Australia. If the wood is pre-convention (pre-2017, and shown on the export permit), then the recipient does not need an import permit. For post-convention wood an import permit is needed. I'm guessing that most makers are still working with pre-convention stocks of blackwood.
Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
www.copleyflutes.com