Rudall & Rose 3260 in auction, Marietta Georgia

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Rudall & Rose 3260 in auction, Marietta Georgia

Post by Steampacket »

Rudall & Rose 3260, boxwood, in auction April 17th - Lot 0737, Eden Fine Antiques Galleries, Marietta, Georgia. Looks nice, no visible cracks, original case, strange head joint cap though. Have at it:
https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/51 ... rose-flute
bigsciota
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Rudall & Rose 3260 in auction, Marietta Georgia

Post by bigsciota »

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

That embouchure hole seems in an odd position, at the center of the head joint.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

looks like a squealer!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Lord, no more, please
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, curious that a Rudall & Rose boxwood flute and a golden toilet should find their way to Marietta, Georgia.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Apparently the golden toilet is from yer man Trump's summer residence in Marietta, Georgia.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

rama wrote:looks like a squealer!
Shaped more like a banana (which would make it a peeler?)
Holmes

Post by Holmes »

bigsciota wrote:Never mind the flute!

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/51 ... ld-commode
They were fashionable once but just a "flash in the pan"

H

https://youtu.be/K5vff7mtys8
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
JMackvane
Tell us something.: Hi.
I am a flute player and have been for many years, also play pipes, banjo and concertina and accordion, i like the chat here on this page and some topics are very interesting.
Thank you.

John.

Post by JMackvane »

Bid on this flute as just a flute and not as a Rudall & Rose, i have been around rudall flutes for many years
and i still play a boxwood Rudall with patent head, this flute up for auction is well made but not by the Rudall & Rose Co, i have come across two of this type of flute during the past 30 years, one i remember at the Willie week in Milltown and one at an antique sale in London, why did George Rudall and John Rose finally place a large paper label on their case's singed by both---because there were exact copies of their flutes been sold, and to see one of these copied flutes in exactly one of their case's made me laugh for a moment,
at least the other two that i came across had just plain wooden case's
But to avoid litigation at the time they would either misspell the name or leave out part of the address,
in this case they have put the address on the body as "Rudall & Rose, 15 Piazza, London.'' the Rudall Co had ''Covent Garden" after 15 piazza.---check it out,
also on looking at this flute--it seems that the maker tried his hand at a patent head-joint, but looks like the silver cover came off or got lost and the owner rigged up some type of end cap, the embouchure is not in what i think the position that it should be---Mr Krell already spotted this, so bid on the flute as what you think, just giving you my idea and what i know about what went on over the years,
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I think JMackvane is right. What do others think? Apart from the missing "Covent Garden" on the left hand part of the flute I noticed that all the wording is curved in the main stamp, even the address part "No 15 Piazza", instead of it being in a straight line as seems to be usual on simple system Rudall flutes. The stamp, as far as I can see, looking at photos of bone fide Rudall simple system flutes always seems to have just the address part, "No 15 Piazza Covent Garden" or " No 1 Tavistock St Covent Garden", in a straight line (although R&R 3203 has the whole stamp in straight lines).
Rudall & Rose
No 15 Piazza
Covent Garden
London
serial number

However looking at the Rudalls I own I see that on the main stamp the address part "No 1 Tavistock St Covent Garden" is also straight, not curved. Haven't seen any stamp so far where all the wording in the main stamp on the left hand flute part is curved

Regarding the length and placement of the embouchure hole I'm not sure if this rings warning bells. Looking at some photos of Rudalls the head joint length does seem to be varied, not always a standard length.

The case looks to be genuine as JMackvane says. I agree with JMackvane the flute is probably a contemporary mid 1800s replica/fake Rudall, but it could still be a good player and interesting to own.

JMackvane where are you based? What is the serial number of your Rudall flute/s? Do you have access to any other serial numbers of Rudall simple system flutes? I'd be interested in adding them to the public register of Rudall simple system flutes.
JMackvane
I am a flute player and have been for many years, also play pipes, banjo and concertina and accordion, i like the chat here on this page and some topics are very interesting.
Thank you.

John.

Post by JMackvane »

Hi Steampacket. Here are some Rudall & Rose flute numbers,8 key Cocus 1830 # 721, 8 key Cocus about 1830 #2507,Boxwood 8 key 1840 # 4692, Boxwood 8 key about 1835 # 1871, Cocus 8 key #1144
Rosewood 8 key # 3743, Rosewood 8 key around 1840 #1093, Boxwood 8 key around 1830 # 926,
Boxwood 8 key 1830 # 2976, Boxwood 8 key #3498, Cocus 11 key # 2896, Boxwood 8 key 1830 # 901,
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

JMackvane wrote:Hi Steampacket. Here are some Rudall & Rose flute numbers...
Hi JMackvane, sounds like you are my ideal house neighbour! :D

About the R&R on auction: I agree about some odd differences from other R&R. I cannot get how the maker can copy the Eb plug and lower Keys style and a good number of other details... and badly fail on such evident thing as stamps!
Just wondering anyway. : )
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
JMackvane
Thank you.

John.

Post by JMackvane »

I see what you mean Radcliff, but about copying an item---do you know that almost exact copies of American silver Morgan Dollars from the late 19th and early 20th century were copied in China and actually some passed by the experts who didn't recognize what exactly they were buying at some coin auctions right here in the US eventually one of them spotted the very minute difference in comparison to the real Morgan Dollar. Take a closer look at how the C and C# keys are attached to the touches.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I don't by that, it is a genuine Rudall and Rose.
Actually I wish I could buy it! :shock:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon