"SquealIng" in ITM?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: "SquealIng" in ITM?

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:Yes, great player though I'm never comfortable watching this shoulder-propping style (that me in trouble too?)...
I'll call the howling mob shortly. We'll see how fast you can run.

I saw the most remarkable thing once: a big, hulking fluteplayer who did the shoulder-prop thing. It looked like a bear trying to twist himself into a knot.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"Squealing" ? - if so, I love it.

https://youtu.be/ZbnuIYp6HsI
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Here's a whole session with squeals...

And some may be US lawyers.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

If Ó Gráda provides the examples, then I'm willing to be confident that keithsandra is referring to that sort of tone in a given note that expresses a ton of harmonics. It's done by overblowing in a way that the upper octave is not fully entered into, and a "creaky voice" happens. And yes, it's a lovely thing. As a beginner I desperately wanted to be able to do that, so I was most pleased when I finally learned how. You might be surprised to learn that it's not considered sloppy playing; it takes a certain amount of control to get it right. :)

But again, I can only guess as to what keithsandra means. :cry:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

kenny wrote:"Squealing" ? - if so, I love it.

https://youtu.be/ZbnuIYp6HsI
It's the flute's way of crying 'get me off that shoulder!' :wink:

Except I do it (love it!) too, but never play on the shoulder...

:party:
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Nanohedron, can you give us an example of what you think I might be talking about?

This might be a good time to add that I find 'it' only happening in fast ITM, so far as can tell anecdotally.

Just to sum up my conclusion so far - as there are so many (presumably ITM players) saying they they don't know what I'm talking about, and a few who seem to think they do but would prefer another word, I think 'it' exists and is an acceptable and appreciated part of the tradition of some ITM.

Best regards,

K.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

keithsandra wrote:Nanohedron, can you give us an example of what you think I might be talking about?
Back to that vid of Conal Ó Gráda that bigsciota provided: there's some pedal point (wrong terminology, maybe?) at 3:10, BGAG, where the Gs are overblown. Of course Conal does this all over - it's something he's noted for - but it's not random by any means, and I think this little BGAG run suggests overblowing's artistic potential nicely. I have never actually heard a universal word for it, unless it's "overblowing". We need something catchier and fresher-sounding than that stodgy word. I propose "spanking". Spank that note. :wink:

There was a studio producer who found himself taken aback by a respected trad fluteplayer's sound. Now by our standards, she is as excellent a player as you could ask for, and the producer was well aware of her standing in the broader trad and folk community. Apparently, though, he had never actually heard Irish or Scottish fluteplaying before, and he complained to me, "Why is her playing so quinty?". I didn't know what he meant by "quinty", so we had to get to the bottom of that. Once I realized he was referring to the overtone-rich style of playing, I assured him that, in our vernacular, such a sound was not only traditional, it was very much approved of and sought after, but even so he still wasn't convinced that it wasn't just bad fluteplaying. If your world is limited to knowing only one set of standards, that's how your thinking runs, too.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Keithsandra, are you talking about this kind of thing perhaps, where players jump octaves or slide up to really high notes in the middle of playing? https://youtu.be/dfsGC--RizI?t=3m17s Also perfectly acceptable.
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Nanohedron wrote:
keithsandra wrote: If your world is limited to knowing only one set of standards, that's how your thinking runs, too.
I'm getting the impression that particular sound could be standard ITM. That's what I wanted to know. Thank you all.

Regards,

K.
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

This must be the strangest thread in years. I just don't get it.. If you want to ask a question about something you have to let the potensial contributors know what on earth you are asking about.. But it seems you got your answer even though no-one knows what the question was.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

keithsandra wrote:Nanohedron, can you give us an example of what you think I might be talking about?

This might be a good time to add that I find 'it' only happening in fast ITM, so far as can tell anecdotally.

Just to sum up my conclusion so far - as there are so many (presumably ITM players) saying they they don't know what I'm talking about, and a few who seem to think they do but would prefer another word, I think 'it' exists and is an acceptable and appreciated part of the tradition of some ITM.

Best regards,

K.
I think that if you are drawing any conclusion from the responses it is in your own mind. Most of the posts from others has been to guess at what the devil you are talking about since you have provided no specifics, and refuse to. It seems to be more a post to draw attention than to ask a question or illuminate a technique. To ask a question is to put yourself out there which for some reason you are unwilling to do.
kenny

Post by kenny »

"Just to sum up my conclusion so far - as there are so many (presumably ITM players) saying they they don't know what I'm talking about, and a few who seem to think they do but would prefer another word, I think 'it' exists and is an acceptable and appreciated part of the tradition of some ITM"

I fail to see your logic. If none of the flute players who have responded know what you're talking about, I'd say it's more likely that "it" [ whatever "it" - "squealing" - is ], is a myth of your imagination, and doesn't exist, certainly not as far as this particular community of players is concerned.
If you've got the answer you were looking for, I'm very happy for you.
Personally, I'm none the wiser, and I don't think I'm the only one.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

kenny wrote:Personally, I'm none the wiser, and I don't think I'm the only one.
Personally, I feel considerably less wiser. :-?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

The pot having been stirred so coyly, where is our soup?
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I, for one, am very happy, because that link led to a lot of Conal O Gráda videos I didn't know existed!
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)