"SquealIng" in ITM?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"SquealIng" in ITM?

Post by keithsandra »

Is making the flute "squeal" an ITM signature? There seems to be a lot of it about, but not everyone does it.

Kind regards,

K.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: "SquealIng" in ITM?

Post by Nanohedron »

I confess I'm not sure what you're talking about. Do you have a sound sample that might help clarify things?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

No way, Nanohedron. I don't want to name names. I think my question has your personal answer. Now let's see what others say, if anything.

Regards,

K.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

Hazarding a guess, Keith is referring to the sound of overblowing that produces higher overtones for emphasis.
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

In my case 'squealing' refers to sounds made by the audience.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

I also have no idea what you are referring to.

Are you talking about it being done on purpose or the sound if a person does not use enough pressure or rosin a violin bow? The squeak from the pipes if the holes aren't all the way sealed? You are the only one I heard talk about it.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Fairly pointless question unless you can provide at least one example of what you're asking about. I have no idea what you mean by "squealing", and it looks as though I'm not the only one. Would you care to rephrase the question ? And why not "name names" ?. I don't see any implied criticism in your query, if what you call "squealing" is part of some musician's playing style, let's debate it. But we need to know what you're talking about first, and the best way to do that is to provide some musical examples. Anything on "Youtube" ?
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Kenny, I think I've covered myself and CnF's Publisher very well from any barmy threats of litigation. I suggest others do the same by resisting identifying alleged "perpetrators".

So far, postings have shown those who presumably play ITM don't call whatever the sound is "squealing", which suggests it's acceptable to them. They probably call it something else, if anything.

I find no signs of "squealing" in flutes playing classical music. But that isn't to say it doesn't exist, for whatever reason.

Kind regards,

K.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

keithsandra wrote:So far, postings have shown those who presumably play ITM don't call whatever the sound is "squealing", which suggests it's acceptable to them. They probably call it something else, if anything.

I find no signs of "squealing" in flutes playing classical music. But that isn't to say it doesn't exist, for whatever reason.
There are significant differences in style & articulations from those commonly found in classical music, so perhaps you are referring to sounds that the ITM community do expect to hear regularly. Cuts, taps, rolls, finger vibrato, half-holing, slides, octave pedaling, etc. might explain some strange pitches, blips, and other characteristics that you could be interpreting as you do.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

keithsandra wrote:Kenny, I think I've covered myself and CnF's Publisher very well from any barmy threats of litigation. I suggest others do the same by resisting identifying alleged "perpetrators".
Nobody's going to sue either you or C&F for explaining what you mean and giving examples, but plenty of people on here are going to become or stay irritated if you don't!

:boggle:
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

flutefry wrote:Hazarding a guess, Keith is referring to the sound of overblowing that produces higher overtones for emphasis.

Certainly overblown shouldn't be dismissed, but whether it's on purpose or we can suppose what the purpose is, as you suggest, it would be difficult to tell unless we asked the person concerned.

I think kkrell has got near to what I hear when he suggests, among other things, it might be "high pitch". Maybe that's a more accurate description than my "squealing".

As for Peter Duggan's apparent confidence in the US's litiginous judicial culture, I can only laud his Scottish goodwill and hope it's never challenged in the US ...

Kind regards,

K.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

I'm American, and I can 100% assure you that no one will sue you or CnF over posting a link to a video or audio clip of the so-called "squealing." That is so far out of what could be considered libel that no attorney, competent or otherwise, would do anything but hang up the phone within a minute of taking the call. Furthermore, if this "squealing" is commonplace or even desirable in Irish music, then there would really be no reason for anyone to get mad.

Here, I'll start. Is there anything in this video that would qualify? It features some overblowing that might be what you're asking about.

https://youtu.be/tgJHK-z8zb4?t=2m57s

And if you're still somehow worried about Conal coming after you, I'll head him off at the pass by saying he's a two-bit, no-talent wheezer with a tin ear and a set of leaden fingers. There, now he'll come after me rather than you.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

the US's litiginous judicial culture
According to your profile you live in Canada. Image

Which probably makes the whole thing, an apparent worry about Irish musicians dragging a Canadian resident through the US courts, even more preposterous.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

keithsandra wrote:
flutefry wrote:Hazarding a guess, Keith is referring to the sound of overblowing that produces higher overtones for emphasis.
Certainly overblown shouldn't be dismissed, but whether it's on purpose or we can suppose what the purpose is, as you suggest, it would be difficult to tell unless we asked the person concerned.
I think there's enough evidence by now that your readers need concrete examples to point to. Even the aforementioned "person concerned" wouldn't know what you're talking about without that, because you're using a word that no one in ITM circles uses when referring to what you say is a commonplace. No one here knows what you mean by "squealing". All we have is a bunch of people scratching their heads and hazarding uncertain guesses over what it might possibly be that you mean by the term, and that's not going to change without concrete examples. Without that, nothing will be solved.

Cast off your worries. I'm sure we'll all find that there will not have been the slightest cause for offense. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

bigsciota wrote:And if you're still somehow worried about Conal coming after you, I'll head him off at the pass by saying he's a two-bit, no-talent wheezer with a tin ear and a set of leaden fingers. There, now he'll come after me rather than you.
Like it (and think he might too in context)! :-)

Yes, great player though I'm never comfortable watching this shoulder-propping style (that me in trouble too?)...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?