New to flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Scouter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a musician and love folk instruments. I am learning about penny whistles and Irish flutes. I play many instruments but one of my main instruments for many years has been oboe. This makes learning the whistle and flute rather easy. Now to learn about best practices for the genre.

New to flute

Post by Scouter »

Hello All,

I am new to the forum, though I have been lurking about for a while. I like to watch a bit at first before striking out to make friends.

By way of introduction, I am a musician who loves to dabble in many instruments. My longtime love is the oboe, but I enjoy playing folk instruments like fife, dulcimer, Appalachian style autoharp, etc.

I have recently taken on the whistle and a Tipple flute. I am looking for an economical flute to play so I am considering the M&E and the Casey Burns flutes.

I have enjoyed reading your posts and have learned much from them. Thank you for sharing your passion. I look forward to learning more from this community.

Scouter
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: New to flute

Post by kkrell »

Welcome to the forum. The Casey Burns folk flutes are a great value in a wooden flute. For Delrin, I also recommend the flutes from Garry Somers ( http://www.somers-flutes.com/prices-contact ) at a good price for a full-featured instrument.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Scouter
Tell us something.: I am a musician and love folk instruments. I am learning about penny whistles and Irish flutes. I play many instruments but one of my main instruments for many years has been oboe. This makes learning the whistle and flute rather easy. Now to learn about best practices for the genre.

Post by Scouter »

Thank you for the recommendation. I followed your link and looked at the flutes. They are certainly handsome in appearance. They have a good reputation from what I can find.

The reason I am looking at the Casey Burns flutes and M&E is because they have both been mentioned as having a comfortable finger reach. Do you know how the Somers flute compares?

I live in the South East. Is there any place one could lay hands on the various flutes or is every purchase by reputation alone?

Thank you for your input.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

I don't think that finger reach is really an issue with any of the standard, D-flutes. The conical bore od most flutes let's the makers place finger holes in reasonable locations.

D-whistle? Maybe there is a consideration.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

If you can manage the reach on a Tipple, than a standard conical D flute should not be a problem. M&E is a pretty standard layout. The Casey Burns flutes are available in even more ergonomic fingerhole positions for especially small hands. I myself to do not like the offset holes for the 3rd fingers (easier reach - similar to offset G on a Boehm flute), and prefer all fingerholes to be in-line.

Let's see, Claire Mann is about 5 feet tall:
Scouter

Post by Scouter »

Thanks for the advice. I am managing the reach on the Tipple but just barely. Speed is not an option since I have to carefully place my fingers to get a good seal on the holes. I will be looking more for an R&R than a Pratten style flute. Smaller holes alone may help.

Since some flutes are more small-hand friendly than others, I would be happy to hear any suggestions. Since I am new to the forum I cannot receive personal messages so just post to this thread, please.
albinoni2002
Tell us something.: I have been playing Traditional Irish Music on the fiddle for over 45 years. I am about to take up the flute as a second instrument.

Post by albinoni2002 »

Hi Scouter, I too am new to the forum. I've been playing fiddle for over 40 years, and decided to take up the flute as a second instrument. I will be starting as a rank beginner--although i know a wealth of tunes, I know nothing about playing the flute, so this will be a challenge. However, I live in northern New Jersey, which is Mike Rafferty (RIP) country, so I have many experienced players to get advice from, once I get my feet wet.

I know a lot of flute players, and have been asking around for a long time now. I was originally going to go with a delrin flute, and based on what I had been hearing, I was torn between a Forbes and a Gary Somers, both of which came highly recommended. However, I got a rec from Kevin Crawford and Margie Mulvihill-both great players and teachers, to go with a blackwood or mgugre flute made by Martin Doyle in Clare, and just ordered one from him. This meant going over budget, but from what I can tell, his flutes hold their value and if it does not work for me, I have no doubt that I will be able to sell the instrument for close to what I paid.

That said, I've heard that the delrin flutes play beautifully, and are an excellent value. Experienced players often have one in addition to their primary instrument.

Best of luck.

Charlie
maestrosid

Post by maestrosid »

Casey Burns makes a smaller handed version that is excellent. Somers makes two versions. The Pratten has larger holes. Dave Copley also makes good flutes that are smaller holes. Any of the three would likely meet your needs.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Also medium to small-holed Rudall-style flutes are easier to
finger, and generally have a lovely, focused sound. People who
can handle larger bored/holed flutes sometimes prefer them anyway.
John Driscoll
Tell us something.: I've been playing Irish flute and whistles since January 2016. It's been a great departure from percussion, which has been my primary form of musicianship since I was a boy.

Post by John Driscoll »

I've had a great first year with my Sweetheart resonance rosewood flute. The holes are smaller and the two piece design means it's nice and light. No tuning slide but that's never been a problem. Nice warm sound with a good amount of chiff, great for slow playing, but loud enough for a session if that's your goal.

I grabbed mine used for $450. Check out the Irishflutestore.com for availability. Blayne's usually got a few used ones lying around.

All the best,
John
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I recommend the Casey Burns Folk Flute, ergonomic standard. I play that model with a slide and rings, offset G/3rd hole.
muep

Post by muep »

At a web page Casey instructs to pick the small-handed variant if the widest you can stretch the hand is less than 19 cm. For me this width is roughly 20 cm, so it is at the lower end of what he recommends for the standard spacing. I have one of his Folk Flutes with the standard hole spacing and there is no problem at all for my fingers to reach the holes. At least for me, this recommendation seems to fit well.

I'd expect also the variant for smaller hands to fit my hands quite well, though, since most flutes seem to fit a quite wide range of hand sizes.
Scouter

Post by Scouter »

Wow, what a wealth of information. I am going to have to review my thinking now that I have had some feedback from all of you. It has reassured me to know that most flutes in the R&R style will fit even smallish hands.

Charlie, thanks for mentioning Martin Doyle. I had not visited his site, but I have now. Stay in touch so we can share notes on our progress.

Muep, my reach is also 20 so I am in the same boat. I am glad that you have tried the standard spacing and found it comfortable.

Burns, Copely, Somers, and Doyle would probably all work as long as I stick to the Rudall and Rose configuration. Alas, I will engage in more research in light of the new information. Thanks to all!
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

Also consider the weight. I started with a delrin flute (Not a Copley, which I love) and while it played well, it gave me significant tendonitis. Switching to a keyed wooden flute actually made the tendonitis disappear. (The wooden one is feather-lite in comparison).
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Delrin is approximately 11% denser than African blackwood. So, unless you got a much lighter wooden flute (boxwood?), your blocks and keys would probably add up to more than the difference.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?