Dangling Left Thumb Exercise for Flute - Video demonstration

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Dangling Left Thumb Exercise for Flute - Video demonstration

Post by jemtheflute »

Dangling Left Thumb Exercise for Flute: https://youtu.be/GruFY6ULlpc

This may be of use or at least interest to some here. Please read the full blurb on the video on YouTube. :-)

Böhm only players, borrow a traverso or a keyless "Irish" flute and try it! Even a half broomstick will do for the exercise at a pinch.......

The exercise is useful for relieving L hand "death grip" - pinching the flute between fingers and thumb (and thus seizing up the motion of them all) and for improvement of L thumb actions. It can also be used to promote good R thumb position in order to achieve a secure 3-point flute support posture, as, if the flute cannot be *held* in the L hand, the R thumb *has* to do its crucial job properly.

These two older videos of mine illustrate (amongst other things!) the benefits of this exercise/principle on general flute support and on use of the keys, especially the Bb thumb key:
https://youtu.be/aFtrJjypoYA?t=12m30s (from the demo of the Manby flute I sold last autumn demonstrating L thumb use).
https://youtu.be/x-YtURdkyck (also shows Bb thumb key use quite well).
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jim stone

Re: Dangling Left Thumb Exercise for Flute - Video demonstra

Post by jim stone »

I will testify that this exercise works.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I feel that the angle of dangle is significant.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Hmmm. This could become a 'heated' discussion.

Best wishes,
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
ScottMaurer

Post by ScottMaurer »

Being primarily a modern flute player, I was unaware of this style of hold. I have had trouble with left hand cramps. Thank you, I will try this.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

ScottMaurer wrote:Being primarily a modern flute player, I was unaware of this style of hold. I have had trouble with left hand cramps. Thank you, I will try this.
The "Rockstro Hold" is pretty long-term mainstream, Scott, though by no means the only method advocated within classical Böhm circles.

For clarity's sake, I'll just reiterate that the Dangling Thumb Exercise is just that, an exercise - I'm not suggesting anyone should do all their playing (on a non-Böhm flute where it is technically feasible) with the L thumb hanging free (at whatever angle!!! :P :poke: ).

I'd also refer anyone wanting more information on flute hold to my Flute Hold ( :waah: ) document, available in my Box-net resources via the link in my signature.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
ScottMaurer

Post by ScottMaurer »

jemtheflute wrote:
ScottMaurer wrote:Being primarily a modern flute player, I was unaware of this style of hold. I have had trouble with left hand cramps. Thank you, I will try this.
The "Rockstro Hold" is pretty long-term mainstream, Scott, though by no means the only method advocated within classical Böhm circles.

For clarity's sake, I'll just reiterate that the Dangling Thumb Exercise is just that, an exercise - I'm not suggesting anyone should do all their playing (on a non-Böhm flute where it is technically feasible) with the L thumb hanging free (at whatever angle!!! :P :poke: ).

I'd also refer anyone wanting more information on flute hold to my Flute Hold ( :waah: ) document, available in my Box-net resources via the link in my signature.
That is true I'm sure. It has been so many years since I was 8 and learning to hold the instrument (böhm flute) I don't know as I could tell you much about how it was taught. It was most assuredly not Rockstro though as I hold it quite differently and always have. Works fantastic on the böhm. But as I said gives me cramps in my left hand on the wooden flute from tensing up, I feel like because it is so much thicker than my böhm. Hopefully this exercise helps.
Peter Otto
Tell us something.: Hi, I started having a go at playing the flute a few weeks ago and I noticed your forum is the place to be for finding information.

Post by Peter Otto »

Hi Jem,

I read about it in Rockstro and it helped me to overcome the death grip problem. :D

kr,
Peter
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Timely; I've come back to the flute after a break, and I'm trying to fix my hold and end death grip issues. I found my own way to doing this exact thing, but good to see another take on it.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
brassnebony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brassnebony »

I'm interested to try this, although being mainly a piper my top hand sits comfortably enough as a pipers grip