Ideas for Flute Case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Beleragor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing the flute since 2014 and the classical piano for almost all my life. I am already living in Belfast and playing in two sessions per week.

Ideas for Flute Case

Post by Beleragor »

Hi guys.

I am getting a new 6 keyed Gilles Lehart flute. I was thinking about getting a good case for the flute. I would like one with foam, something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008MOJQ6A ... CJK66SPCCL

I would like something like the example above but a little bit smaller. Any idea?

Thanks so much.
jim stone

Re: Ideas for Flute Case

Post by jim stone »

On this side of the Big Puddle, one option is to buy a pistol case.
Some are too small, but there are medium sized ones, foam lined,
with plenty of room for a keyed flute. The outside is a hard plastic
and they are very tough and safe. Also inexpensive. I don't know if
there are gun supply stores or sport stores where you are, but I'd
check them out. They're not ugly or beautiful, and lots of people care
about the aesthetics more than I do, but they do a good job of protecting
flutes, anyhow.
nohoval_turrets

Post by nohoval_turrets »

Another option is modify a flute case for modern orchestral flutes.

I use these Gator cases: http://www.gatorcases.com/p/115179-1071/gc-flute-b-c

You need to pull out the existing lining, which is of course for Boehm-style flutes, and replace it with foam cut to shape for your flute. You can reuse the velvet lining too.

These Gator ones are a bit bigger than the ones that come with most modern flutes, so are easier to work with. They look very smart too.
Spielorjh
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

I use a cut-down billiard-cue case for mine ($10 at Walmart) - I can fit my low whistle and two high Ds in there with the proper spacers and padding added.
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

Sam Murray sent me a flute in a foam-lined pistol case with the tearout cubes. Works beautifully and has not given me a problem in ten years.

I avoided the "is that a gun?" question by smearing Irish music and teacher's union stickers all over it.
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
wolftune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by wolftune »

Like Jim said, a pistol case is a solid option. For example, here's one at amazon for under $7. You can cut the foam out as you see fit. It's fairly hard plastic, the snaps work just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H ... UTF8&psc=1

I have a Prowse flute with a longish center piece that just fits. I also cut out a bit for a small humidifier and a small hygrometer.

Not pretty, but the silver lining to that is that it might be less likely to be stolen.

Vince
JCortese
Tell us something.: I got interested in flutes because I already play piano and harp and am interested in instruments that aren't also furniture, and that you can get onto an airplane without getting into a fight with the gate agent.

Post by JCortese »

I've got a pistol case for mine as well, and I can attest that it's not hard to fly with it, either. In January, I had to do a lot of flying for work (from my origin city to San Jose, then to New Orleans, and then back home) with two flights between each city, so that was a total of six flights, and I only got stopped and swabbed once. The young lady who swabbed the case was pleasant and very interested, as she had never seen an Irish flute before. However, I did get a somewhat comical double-take out of one of the TSA people once when I laid the case on the belt x-ray. :-) I also tried to forestall any suspicions by putting a label on the outside of the case that says "THIS IS AN IRISH FLUTE."

It does indicate though that you do want to keep one pistol case for the flute exclusively, or else the swab might pick up gunpowder residue. Don't mix cases between your handguns (if you have any) and the flute.

Anyway, one more vote for the handgun case. They're great, cheap, durable, and they fit into clarinet gig bags.
--
Home flute: 6-key Copley & Boegli Delrin D
https://accidentalflutist.wordpress.com/