Rudall & Rose No. 1910 auction

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dubrosa22
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Rudall & Rose No. 1910 auction

Post by dubrosa22 »

Rudall & Rose No. 1910.
Not my listing.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132104821754
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
- Philibert Jambe der Fer (1556)
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Rudall & Rose No. 1910 auction

Post by Steampacket »

Good that unknown ("new") Rudall simple system flutes keep popping up. Another Rudall with the metal and horn ring/ferrule combination although most of the horn rings are missing. Minor refurbishments needed but nothing serious. Good photos. Location Accrington, Lancs. Have at it!
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

Well, that went for £1021.01, did anybody here buy it? :)
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Also note the protruding black bit at the end of the foot joint. Never seen this set up before but I'm guessing it is to bring the pitch down to modern pitch if this was HP. Looks like it could be a thin sleeve inside the bore. I'm intrigued to know if anyone has seen this type sleeving before and how well it works.
Flutesoftheforest

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

Flute #1848 shown in Robert Bigio's book shares the same design as #1910. From the photograph on page 162 of the book you can clearly see that the foot joint has a short, perhaps 8mm, silver collar which is on the outer side of the ferrule. Presumably this collar covers the short extension/protrusion that you can see. It is certainly part of the original design rather than a remedy for high pitch.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Thank you. I don't have his book but I do know Robert. From what you said it sounds like in the photo of flute no.1848 there is an additional silver ''collar'' over the protrusion? (Below the ferrule ring) It is missing on this one in the photos?
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, that's right as flutesoftheforest says. 1910's silver end cap that should cover the wooden tip of the flute is absent. R&R 2418 which has the same design as R&R 1910, and still has all it's horn and silver ferrules, has a silver end cap below the foot joint's silver ferrule. (There's a photo of R&R 2418 in the public Rudall register)
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Hi,
As far as I can see R&R offers different design for their flutes.
Few of them has extra horn rings in addiction to standard silver rings (I never spot a horn rings only model).
There is a basic idea of get a specularity visual appearance given by a pattern (horn, silver, wood /wood, silver, horn) and by a adding this to the standard flute line up.
#1910 and #2418 share the very same design (with double horn rings on the slide - that gives the horn/silver/horn when the slide is open).
#1848 on Bigio's book has no-horn ring in the crown, so no-horn ring at the flute end.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com