My favorite note

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
nohoval_turrets
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

My favorite note

Post by nohoval_turrets »

My main playing flute at the moment is keyless, but playing my Potter 8-key the other day, I was reminded of my favorite note. It's C in the first octave, but fingered as XOX XXX with the C foot joint keys. It's basically the octave of low C.

It's not a terribly useful note because it sounds so different to the others. I don't think I've ever use it in a tune. But there's something so peculiarly satisfying about it that I use it sometimes for long tone practice. It doesn't even work well on every flute, but on the ones it does work on it just pings out as bright and cheerful as you please.

So that's my favorite note/fingering. What's yours?
Spielorjh
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Re: My favorite note

Post by Spielorjh »

I love the bell-tone on most instruments I play, and somehow consider it the instrument's characteristic voice even though I hit it less in playing than any others.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I'm particularly fond of £50 note.

Particularly like the motion thread and the secret pattern you can only see in UV light.... Sadly, they're almost useless here in the US.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

I really like my flutes, but there some kind of special feeling with the Eb note... specially on the second octave. :love:
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Steve Bliven wrote:I'm particularly fond of £50 note.

Particularly like the motion thread and the secret pattern you can only see in UV light.... Sadly, they're almost useless here in the US.

Best wishes.

Steve
If you have any knocking about the place, taking up unnecessary room, just send them here, where they will be lovingly looked after and given a good home.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

benhall.1 wrote:
Steve Bliven wrote:I'm particularly fond of £50 note.

Best wishes.

Steve
If you have any knocking about the place, taking up unnecessary room, just send them here, where they will be lovingly looked after and given a good home.
No £50 notes, but I have an assortment of coins my mother collected on her travels. The £1 and 50 new pence are still legal tender, even perhaps the 2-shilling piece with George VI on the front, but probably not worth the cost of shipping to where they'd be acceptable. No idea what to do with the francs and Deutschemarks. The latest to turn up is a 1978 Bermuda penny.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Tunborough wrote:The latest to turn up is a 1978 Bermuda penny.
Is it triangular?
Geraint

Post by Geraint »

benhall.1 wrote:
Is it triangular?
It's probably disappeared by now.
Tri pheth sy'n anodd nabod....
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

benhall.1 wrote:
Is it triangular?
No, but the 50 new pence pieces are septagonal, same size and shape as the 10 peso pieces. The 1 kuruş piece has a hole in the middle.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Geraint wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
Is it triangular?
It's probably disappeared by now.
The penny is still here, 'though it's value has pretty much disappeared.