Gilles Lehart 6Keys flute opinion

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Beleragor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing the flute since 2014 and the classical piano for almost all my life. I am already living in Belfast and playing in two sessions per week.

Gilles Lehart 6Keys flute opinion

Post by Beleragor »

Hi guys.

I have been thinking about getting a Gilles Lehart 6Keys flute. I tried one last week and they really sound good. Nowadays I own a Sam Murray 3 keys flute and I was thinking if it is worth to changes from a Sam Murray to a Gilles Lehart.

I wanted to start playing tunes in weird keys and that's why I am thinking about changing my flute. But my Sam Murray is fantastic, great tone, very good and easy low hard D and so on...

What do you think? Can anyone tell me if Gilles Lehart are comparable with Sam Murray flutes?

Thank you for the answers.
maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Gilles Lehart 6Keys flute opinion

Post by maracirac »

hi !
i went in oposite way, from gilles lehart flute to sam murray ....... now, i have both flutes but murray is my main flute.
first of all lehart flute is great value for money, great tone and post mounted keywork ..... and very short delivery time ( 2-3 months) and constant quality in production.
why i preffer murray slighty more .....? first of all i like unlined head more than lined ( and as i know lehart still making only lined head), like some impurities in sound ( harmonics ? ) of murray, i prefer northern stlye in flute playing and all my favourite flute albums were made with murray flutes ( h. bradley, marcus o'murchu, m. clarkson, na dorsa - desy adams..... ).
maybe you are able to push muray flute slighty more ......
all those observations are mine and very subjective, but you ask for some suggestions ......
but, you wouldn't make mistake if you order lehart flute, believe me ....
regards, marin
Beleragor
Tell us something.: Playing the flute since 2014 and the classical piano for almost all my life. I am already living in Belfast and playing in two sessions per week.

Post by Beleragor »

Hi Marin,

Thanks for your answer. I was also thinking about the lined head of the Lehart flute, I have read that line heads make easier to reach the third octave in the flute. It is that true? Do you find difference between your Sam Murray and your Lehart?

Also, I am quite worried about the low D. In my Sam Murray I can blow a really hard and strong low D. Do you feel any difference between both flutes playing low Ds? I would also like to know your opinion about general volume, which one plays louder?

My last question is about weight. Do you think that there is a significant difference between the weight of both flutes?

Thank you again. Best.
PierreCad
Tell us something.: I have a flute for sale and I'm interested in wooden flutes. So i'll let people know about my flute on this page and be checking posts about flutes from time to time.

Post by PierreCad »

Hi!

I never tried any Sam Murray flutes but I had a Léhart D flute for many years. I agree with Marin, Léhart flutes are great value for money.
I no longer have one in D now (i still play on his Bb and F) but I remember third octave was really easy to play and the sound was powerfull, with a strong low D. I never had a feeling like it was too heavy when I was playing.
The only thing I don't like much with Lehart is the key design, not the most confortable one (specially the long F key, what would you say Marin ?). But it works perfectly and, again, Léhart is really cheap for a good instrument.

Hope this will help to make up your mind !

Regards
Pierre
Beleragor

Post by Beleragor »

Hi Pierre.

Thanks for the answer. It's been really helpful. I am pretty sure that I will get one Lehart soon, I just wanted to know any impression of people who play one.

In Sam Murray's flutes, it is quite difficult to reach the third octave but that is because Sam does not use lined heads. That is a good point for Lehart's flutes.

Concerning the Key Design, what do you mean when you say that the long F key is not the most comfortable? Is it hard to push? Is it short? Anyway, I would be quite interested about knowing what you think about the G# key. In my Sam Murray it is quite short and it took me time to get used to it...

All the best,
Jorge
maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maracirac »

Hi guys !
i weighted both flutes ( same material - blackwood and both 6 keyed); murray's weight is 352 g and lehart's weight is 401 g.
about 3th octave; well i play very rare high c or higher notes ( i need it when play high jig or golden eagle horpipe ) but my impresion is that you will achive 3 rd octave notes easier on lehart flute ( lined head with give you more focused tone), although every skilfull player will achive 3 rd octave on both flutes.
about lehart keywork: first of all his keywork is very funcional, i have his flute almost 12 years and never have any problem with keys. yes, i agree that his long f could be ugly for someone, same goes for his C key, but after a while you get used to.
and finally about hard d....... well, i think that you able to lean on murray slighty more than on lehart.
both flutes are loud and some of my friends from belfast are able to achive same volume on both flutes.
sound is cleaner on my lehart flute but reason for that is unlined ( or better to say half lined ) head on my murray flute.
if you able to listen first album of mike mcgoldrick you will hear typical sound of lehart or if you listen harry b. first album you will hear typical sound of murray flutes.
hope it will help you, marin
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

I can't speak to keys as I don't have any, but I love the keyless Lehart D I have. Very powerful if it needs to be, lovely tone, and I have to say I like the distinctive look as well (I know, not what you buy a flute for, but a nice bonus). The third octave comes in nicely for me, although I don't use it too much. Add in the fact that even the keyless ones are a good couple hundred euros less than most other top-line flute makers (and the keyed are even more of a bargain), and I'd say go for it! You'll end up saving 1500 or so over a Hammy, Doyle, Murray, etc. 6-keyed flute, and I'd say they're all comparable, so it comes down to personal preference more than huge differences in quality.
Beleragor

Post by Beleragor »

Thank you everybody.

Your comments have been really useful. I think that I will finally get one Lehart. I will make a brief review (comparing it with my Murray) whenever it arrives to my hands.

All the best,
KatieMacDonald
Tell us something.: I'm an Irish flute player, been playing for a few years now. I'm looking to learn and grow as well as potentially finding a new flute and meeting some like-minded people.

Post by KatieMacDonald »

I may be a little late to the party, but I purchased a 6-key Lehart as my first keyed flute almost three years ago. I've played around on a lot of my friends' flutes (Copley, Grinter, Sam Murray, etc) and the Lehart was my favourite. If you're looking for a quality, affordable instrument, you can't go wrong! Mine was done three weeks after I ordered it, and in my hands within a month. I loved mine and it had a gorgeous, clear tone, plenty of volume, and a solid low D. It played well up into the 3rd octave.

Unfortunately, the Royal Mail lost mine in October on its way back to Gilles for a long Bb key to accommodate my piper's grip, and I never got it back, but I would definitely recommend him. He's also lovely to deal with!
Beleragor

Post by Beleragor »

Thanks Katie, I have already ordered the flute. It looks like nowadays the waiting times are approximately 3 months. So, I will have the flute in my hands in May.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion.