soundproofing a room

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

soundproofing a room

Post by rama »

I am contemplating moving into a condo. Not being familiar with playing/practicing flute in a condo, I am concerned about making too much noise for my neighbors. Does anyone have any practical suggestions / experience on how to mitigate noise from my practicing flute ? I am mostly concerned with soundproofing the ceiling, the walls do not directly abutt anyone else.
I have been searching the internet for sound proofing materials and wondering if anyone knows much about this sort of thing. Or is it not really necessary....
Last edited by rama on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: soundproofing a room

Post by kkrell »

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

or maybe you can find someone's unused sauna (not soundproof, but they do muffle things quite a bit.)

https://www.amazon.com/Heatwave-One-Per ... B004000M5Y

Well, that's thinking INSIDE the box. Let's see if anyone has suggestions for OUTSIDE the box.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

It's not easy making a room sound proof without major construction, like doubling up the drywall between the two rooms/apartments.

One thing that helps a little is to have lots of sound absorbing material. Not draperies, but heavy things like carpets, beds, couches and floor to ceiling library shelves.

Your best bet is to be a nice person who gets to know your neighbors and practices at reasonable hours.
LewisC
Tell us something.: It is a beautiful day in the piedmont for playing a favorite boxwood simple-system flute. Is that enough typing to get to 100 characters?? Maybe not, just to make sure here is a bit more stuff from the keyboard ...

Post by LewisC »

Yes, support that last comment. My former teacher (Rob Sharer) gave me great advice when he said he spent a lot of time practicing in an apartment where he had to play quietly, and he learned to do so with great quality and power.

This has the effect of focusing the embouchure better than anything else I have done.

That being said, you can add carpets, curtains, furniture, etc to soak up the sound. An acoustically bright room would transmit more sound.
Lewis
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

Hi Rich,

I made a sound recording booth with the same intention as you describe but furthermore to achieve a sound isolation to record (the flute mainly)

The walls are constructed of compressed wood board 20mm (3/4 inch) made onto a frame of 3.5x2.5 inch softwood. It is 5 foot x 3.5 foot and tall enough to stand in. As I use it to record too I put a triple glazed window in the door. It is on a suspended floor which is the same material floated on some dense foam (1/2 inch) I call it my indoor shed

It has rockwool insulation in the cavities and inside it is covered in cheap carpet offcuts.

I've recorded vocals, double bass and acoustic guitar in there too. Most of my soundcloud page (below) tracks were recorded in there

https://soundcloud.com/holmesflute/sets/holmes-flute
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

If it's primarily the ceiling you're looking to soundproof, do a search on acoustic ceiling tiles. My father is mostly deaf, and when I was a kid, my bedroom was right above the TV. We got these tiles that are low-density pressed fiber with little holes punched into them. It worked pretty well. We put up furring strip and installed them in a 20x20 room with a staple gun; the whole thing took two of us about a day.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

rama wrote:I am contemplating moving into a condo. Not being familiar with playing/practicing flute in a condo, I am concerned about making too much noise for my neighbors. Does anyone have any practical suggestions / experience on how to mitigate noise from my practicing flute ? I am mostly concerned with soundproofing the ceiling, the walls do not directly abutt anyone else.
I have been searching the internet for sound proofing materials and wondering if anyone knows much about this sort of thing. Or is it not really necessary....
I live in a block of flats (as we call them this side of the pond). I've asked my neighbours straight out and they simply don't hear me! Flute, clarinet, whistle, recorder and various fretted strings, they just didn't know I played :)

There's no-one above me and the walls and floors are concrete. I keep the windows and internal doors shut when I'm playing, and am "sensible" about the time of day I play loudly ... no complaints in over five years :)

When you check out the property, take a friend and a flute and test for sound transmission. Knock on a few doors and ask for comments. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."